New Contributor

Hello everyone! This is my first post, but I've been a reader for a few months now. I recently purchased my first house & am working on a garden makeover this year. I'd like to hang up a humming bird feeder. Does anyone have any tips? A particular one that you like best? I see a lot of beautiful glass ones out there, but am hesitant to get one. 

I appreciate any tips you have! 

Frequent Contributor

The only ones I use are from the Audobon society, all the others seemed to leak and bring the ants in. I boil 4 cups of water, add 1 cup of sugar and when cooled, fill up the feeder and put the remainder in the fridge. No food coloring, no good for the hummers. Also, clean the feeder every 3/4 days so they don't get sick. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link to another retailer.

Respected Contributor

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your new home! While not the fanciest feeder, the brand Best Hummingbird Feeders are excellent in my experience. I’ve had one for almost 20 years and it’s still going strong. 

You can find recipes for nectar online, no need to buy anything special. Just a ratio of water to sugar of 4:1. I boil my water first, then store in the refrigerator.

We are fortunate to have hummingbirds year round.

DEEC9B73-1535-41AB-AD69-55D0A4AEFCF4.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: humming bird feeder

[ Edited ]

I like the Aspects Hummzinger Hummingbird feeders.  I like them, because you can see the hummingbird from all sides of the feeder.  Also, they don't leak.  You mix 1 part pure cane sugar to 4 parts very hot water.  Let it cool and fill the feeder to the line.  That's usually halfway.  I have tried just about every type of hummingbird feeder available, and this is the one I prefer.  I enjoy watching the humminbirds very much.. This is a picture I took last year.

2C18F944-A15C-4892-BC6E-0488F72A7D7E.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@butteflylover 

Did you mean butteRflylover ?

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I like the Aspects Hummzinger Hummingbird feeders.  I like them, because you can see the hummingbird from all sides of the feeder.  Also, they don't leak.  You mix 1 part pure cane sugar to 4 parts very hot water.  Let it cool and fill the feeder to the line.  That's usually halfway.  I have tried just about every type of hummingbird feeder available, and this is the one I prefer.  I enjoy watching the humminbirds very much.. This is a picture I took last year.

2C18F944-A15C-4892-BC6E-0488F72A7D7E.jpeg

I have this one, its easy to clean which is the most important feature

Honored Contributor

@deweydoo wrote:

The only ones I use are from the Audobon society, all the others seemed to leak and bring the ants in. I boil 4 cups of water, add 1 cup of sugar and when cooled, fill up the feeder and put the remainder in the fridge. No food coloring, no good for the hummers. Also, clean the feeder every 3/4 days so they don't get sick. 

@deweydoo Thanks so much!  We were talking about that last night.  We used to have lots of Orioles at our last house, none here.  

But we have seen hummer!  So we were wondering what kind of feeder.  Our old ones are sort of a mess. 

Respected Contributor

I also LOVE the Hummzinger type feeder.  Its flat, saucer like shape makes cleaning and filling very easy, very low maintenance, and no big deal to assemble.   Just snap lid on after filling.   I have 2, I hang on separate shepherd's hooks.  The hummingbirds sit on it, and seem to spend a little more time feeding.  I've had a few other types, that screw together, some jar like shapes, and attached plastic flowers...I threw them all out.  They either leaked after a while and were a pain to clean and assemble.  Go for the Hummzinger, from Amazon,  $14- $19.

New Contributor

OMG yes I did! I don't know how I misspelled that?? Is there a way that I can correct it? I'm going to have to check into that, thanks for catching. 

Thank you ladies for your kind replies I have some shopping to do. I appreciate your great feedback.