Respected Contributor

I BOUGHT A GARDENIA BUSH🙂

My mom was telling me about her neighbors gardenia flowers, how 2 flowers scented her whole house.  So I went to lowes yesterday and I purchased an Aimee Gardenia ...said to have large fragrant flowers up to 5 ".

We planted it in the ground facing East for morning sun.  Will get some afternoon shade, good for some relief from hot sun and heat.

It's got shiny dark green foliage, no buds yet.  This is a first for me.  I'm in central Florida, very hot here already.

When it blooms, I'll post pics.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I BOUGHT A GARDENIA BUSH🙂

[ Edited ]

Enjoy your new gardenia bush. The flower smells so good, intoxicated!

Gardenia needs lot of care, remember that, acidic soil is their beloved husband.

Try NOT to plant that sweet gardenia near concrete wall or the foundation of a house. Gardenias adore rich, but I mean rich in nutrients.

I planted in this house two gardenia bushes and I killed them the next season, my husband said that I murdered his bushes Woman LOL

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Super Contributor

oh my gosh--I love gardenia plants--I didn't have any luck when I bought @ home depot a gardenia tree--the nice thing about the Home Depot they will refund ur money if the plant dies which it did--later on today I'm actually going to Lowes 2 get some mulch etc. etc.--I will check out that gardenia plant--lord knows I don't need anymore flowers--I don't know the return policy @ Lowes if a plant dies--maybe I'll ask today--I just bought @ Lowes the other day 3 cedar shrubs--they were only $12.88 so I didn't bother to ask about the return policy bc it wasn't that much $--ALSO--to go into the home depot u have to wait on a line to get in--Lowes u just walk in that's why I'm mostly shopping @ Lowes now--still have some black eyed susans & new guenia impatients to plant!!Smiley LOL

Valued Contributor

You will love your gardenia plant!  We have 2 outside the kitchen door and as soon as you go outside the scent hits you.  It's just so lovely and intoxicating, especially in the evening.  I think I remember that ours took about a year for the flowers to bloom.  Yours may bloom sooner.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of gardenias, many different varieties, and they are just growing in potting soil, but I do feed with liquid acidic fertilizer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

My mom was telling me about her neighbors gardenia flowers, how 2 flowers scented her whole house.  So I went to lowes yesterday and I purchased an Aimee Gardenia ...said to have large fragrant flowers up to 5 ".

We planted it in the ground facing East for morning sun.  Will get some afternoon shade, good for some relief from hot sun and heat.

It's got shiny dark green foliage, no buds yet.  This is a first for me.  I'm in central Florida, very hot here already.

When it blooms, I'll post pics.

@Dazlin I am in central Florida too, and I bought a Gardenia last fall at a local plant festival.  My neighbor has a gorgeous yard and she dragged me along with her even though gardening is not my thing.  So I noticed a few days ago that I already have some white flowers and they smell great.  But some of the leaves are turning yellow, so I went to Lowe's this morning and bought some food for that type of plant, acidic.  Mine is also facing East.  For someone else who asked, Lowe's will take back plants that don't survive.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

For now, I dressed up the soil with a huge bag of potting soil.  I'll go get some fertilizer gardenias like.

I read they like acidic and high nutrient soil as you have stated here, so I'll head out to see what I can find.  I'm looking forward to the blooms. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips  Are the leaves uniformly yellow with bright green central vein visible? It could be chlorosis which needs a product called Ironite. If planted too close to a cement foundation or bricks, or sidewalk, the lime from the cement leeches into the soil & the plant takes it in from the roots causing the chlorosis. The Ironite helps alter the pH so the plant's leaves stop yellowing. It's a liquid product.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips  Are the leaves uniformly yellow with bright green central vein visible? It could be chlorosis which needs a product called Ironite. If planted too close to a cement foundation or bricks, or sidewalk, the lime from the cement leeches into the soil & the plant takes it in from the roots causing the chlorosis. The Ironite helps alter the pH so the plant's leaves stop yellowing. It's a liquid product.

@JustJazzmom Actually, yes, that does describe the leaves.  Not all of them, just some of them.  I would say the bush is about 8 feet away from the house.  I did buy some plant food that makes the soil acidic, so I will see how that does.  So, forgive me for asking a dumb question, but can I just cut the flowers off then to bring them in the house?  Does cutting them off make it bloom more?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

When I lived in California I had an entry courtyard that was full of camellias, begonias and several gardenias.  It was such a lovely smell walking to my front door.  I have a gardenia here (PNW) in a pot on the patio but it has very small flowers and you have to put you nose into it to get any odor.  Just not the same.