Trusted Contributor

I have 2 day lillies that are on the walk way up to my front door.  They both are the same age/size, they get the same amount of light and water.  One is just LOADED with buds getting ready to bloom, the other NONE.  Any ideas as to why one is doing so good and the other's leaves are beautiful, but has no buds??

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help Regarding Day Lillies

Hi, @BunSnoop .  They don't all bloom at the same time, depending on the type and variety.  That would be my first thought.  Wait and see.

Deer love daylilies.  Chances are, if you have buds on one side, they haven't been around but sometimes they'll nibble randomly.  Look for stalks with no buds or blooms.

Old clumps may need to be divided.  Overcrowding leads to reduction in blooms.

I still think it's just that particular plant.  i have daylilies that bloom from June until well into August (not all the same plants at the same time).  There are "everblooming" types (repeat bloomers) but mine are not; they are staged to bloom in succession.  One fades, another begins.

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

I do feed my plants every Spring. They may need fertilizer. If they are older plants they may need to be divided. I would wait now until Fall. I have done mine in the Spring.

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop  I have about 25 daylilies. They bloom at different times. Totally agree iwth @Sweetbay magnolia  and about the deer too!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions.  I do not have any deer here, but I do know that they both are different species.  Also, they are getting rather large, so good idea to divide in fall.  May have to try also giving them a little fertilizer.  The ground where they are planted is not the best (that's why I planted day lilies as they can grow just about anywhere) but, I'm sure some fertilizer may help too. Thanks everyone!

Respected Contributor

daylilies are the plague of my life. I finally got tired of them and tried to remove them but it's as though their bulbs are planted in cement shoes. They've been in place for 20+ years and they just keep spreading and spreading.

You really want to keep that thing going? here's a warning: "be careful what you wish for; you may get it."

Honored Contributor

I have a few daylilies and don't mind them but my problem is that something eats the blossoms.  I think slugs are the culprit.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop   I have at least 200 daylilies.  You.may have one that blooms late, or it needs dividing, as if they are crowded by ther own fans, blooming will diminish.  When buying daylilies, I suggest googling, and in the search box, Daylily, the name of the daylily, and database, which will bring up a page with all info.  I look for daylilies that bloom at different times, and ones that have branching with many buds, in other words, daylilies that will really perform.  

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I have a few daylilies and don't mind them but my problem is that something eats the blossoms.  I think slugs are the culprit.

Look for any slime trails as that indicates slugs. I suspect it's earwigs if no slime trails seen.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop  I have many varities of Daylilies and they all bloom at different times.  The yellow Stella D'oro seem to bloom first.