Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Such a lovely picture.  Question.  The local home store is now selling mums.  I live in a sub-tropical climate.  I was told you can plant them in the ground here and they will come back as perennials so I was thinking of planting a few "mini" bunches of Mums in my little flower garden.  Looks like as they grow, they have quite a large root system.

Does anyone plant mums and have them come back year after year w/summer and fall blooms?  I'm willing to try.

@jellyBEAN   I did many years ago when we first moved into our home.  Mums can get quite big if you let them come back each year....some were out of control!...but some didn't make it and so the pattern that I planted looked bad after a few years with bare spots and plants that were too large.  I finally took them out.

Mums are pretty inexpensive.  About a month ago I bought 5 good sized potted plants for about $5.00 each.  They look beautiful clustered around the front door and steps.  I got them in yellow & orange.  I also have a small bale of hay next to some mums with a few deocrative pumpkins.  It's a nice fall look for the front door area.

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

PA Mom-mom:  You mentioned ground cherries.  I wonder if they are the same as my grandmother used to plant.  They had husks that had to be removed and when ripe were a golden yellow.  My grandmother used to make ground cherries  preserves and ground cherries pies.  They looked like this:

Image result for ground cherries

Is that the same thing you were speaking of?  It's been YEARS since I have had any of these.

wismiss

@wismiss I just saw this reply to my post. Yes, those are groundcherries. I only use them to make pies. The best pies have a combination of unripe (green) and ripe (yellow) groundchereies. If you use all ripe, it is too sweet.