Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN.  When I moved into my house 20 years ago there was a huge bush if mums growing on the back wall.  It was about 4ft wide,  3 ft tall.  I wanted to plant something else there so dad and I pulled the whole bush out with a chain attached to his SUV.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

JellyBean, there are perennial mums and annual mums.  Even my perennial ones sometimes don't make it through a tough Pennsylvania winter.

Many mums offered now are annuals. They're so pretty that they are worth planting even for one season!   HTH

Trusted Contributor

Oh, my, how beautiful!!

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Holy Smokes!!!  I can see some of the bigger Mum plants seem to have quite a large root system and would require a lot of digging (which I don't want to do) but to drag it out by a vehicle would be more than I could deal with.  lol

The ones I'm thinking about are little mini's right now.  Tag says to plant 3 together for a multi-color effect.  Roots aren't too bad on the mini's.  I will have to check to see if they are annuals or perennials.  I woud like them to last at least 3-5 years, but would be cautious about letting them get too big.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Trusted Contributor

Just beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I just saw this post. Let me guess. That has to be Hoover's stand, on the right after Churchtown on Rt. 23. It looks like your sister got there on their "customer appreciation day." We couldn't get there that day, but I wish we had. I love Hoover's! Ask you sister if they had a lot of cement bird baths and statues in their parking lot. They are  the closest Lancaster farm stand to our house in Montgomery County. It takes about 50 minutes to get there, but we go in the fall for groundcherries, cabbage, broccoli, and if we are lucky, romanesco:

220px-Fractal_Broccoli.jpg

Trusted Contributor

PA Mom-mom:  You mentioned ground cherries.  I wonder if they are the same as my grandmother used to plant.  They had husks that had to be removed and when ripe were a golden yellow.  My grandmother used to make ground cherries  preserves and ground cherries pies.  They looked like this:

Image result for ground cherries

Is that the same thing you were speaking of?  It's been YEARS since I have had any of these.

wismiss

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

are mums perenials?  

Trusted Contributor

@jellyBEAN--------In our first home we planted mums in the front yard. DH and neighbor put a dog run in backyard 6months later, so Mums were dug up and moved to go around dog run. A year later took out dog run, put mums back in front yard. Soon we separated mums and spread them around. In California it is pretty easy to have same mums for years. 

In Arizona we planted 1 plant (in the shade) and had it for 5yrs, year round. However it was only 1 foot high and about 3" around.  Have fun, there are SOO many different kinds---------------tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, amazing colour!  Looks like a black et of vibrant color.  LM