Respected Contributor

ANYONE USE SUET BIRD FEEDERS??

I'm going to buy a Suet feeder.   I see several types and some possible problems with the larger gaged wire openings.   Some say the birds prefer the ones without a perch, possibly so their tails dont get caught while they hang on to the cage.  Any suggestions?

Another thing I want to talk about is, for the first time, all my birds have literally disappeared,  I mean every variety except Doves.   Many people in the surrounding area, maybe 5-7 miles out, have said they haven't seen their usual birds for the last few weeks, and everyone is concerned and sad.   After researching, the only possibility I've come across is , moulting, and maybe abundance of natural foods, like berries, and bugs.  Its been very warm here in Florida,  but I've never seen such a disappearance.  I dont see them flying around or in the trees if there's food out there.   Also, if their moulting,  would it be every breed???   I'm  not seeing my everyday Cardinals,  Woodpeckers,  Bluejays,  Finches, and more.

I'm going to keep feed out, that's why I'm buying a Suet feeder too...hopefully will see my birds again.   I'm sad, and I miss all the beauty.    Any clues what's going on?

Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE USE SUET BIRD FEEDERS??

I have a simple basket.  I used to hang it from a branch, but the tree died and we had to cut it down, but I had them leave a very tall stump, taller than I can even get to with a ladder for the added vertical interest in the yard.  You have to look up to notice there's not actually a tree there.  So, I had to get a hanger for it.  I also kept one of the plastic containers that some suet blocks are in and that is in the basket holding the suet so birds can't feed from the top.  I have it hanging far enough away from the trunk so that birds also can't feed from there.  Why, you ask?  That means that only birds that are comfortable feeding upside down can feed from it.  Mostly, that is woodpeckers, nuthatches, and chickadees.  I have also seen birds fly up from the ground and get a quick grab.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

Could be a preditor is near. They hide untill it goes away.

I use suet feeders.The birds love it most of all.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin   I got an email from Wild Birds Unlimited this week saying that we will be seeing less birds for a while.  It said that it was easier for the birds to find food on their own right now but not to quit feeding them.  They will be back.  I've deleted my emails or I would copy and paste it here.  I don't remember everything that it said.

The problem I've found with suet feeders is that the larger black birds love suet and eat all of it.  The upside down feeders work at keeping them away.

Edited to say:  I found the email from WBU.  

Q: Where are all my birds??

A: This time of year it is not uncommon to see a decline at your feeders. The food we offer to our backyard birds is only supplemental to their natural diet of insects, berries, and/or seeds, depending on the species of the bird. In the fall natural food sources start to flourish. Insects are abundant and most everything is in bloom. Also, it's still HOT! Birds aren't unlike humans in the fact that on these sweltering days they want to stay in the shade! So don't worry, the birds are still around your area! They are just filling themselves with all the natural food and spending time in the shade! But be ready...once the temps start to drop and winter rolls around, the birds will be back at their favorite feeders looking for their favorite foods!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

I'm going to buy a Suet feeder.   I see several types and some possible problems with the larger gaged wire openings.   Some say the birds prefer the ones without a perch, possibly so their tails dont get caught while they hang on to the cage.  Any suggestions?

Another thing I want to talk about is, for the first time, all my birds have literally disappeared,  I mean every variety except Doves.   Many people in the surrounding area, maybe 5-7 miles out, have said they haven't seen their usual birds for the last few weeks, and everyone is concerned and sad.   After researching, the only possibility I've come across is , moulting, and maybe abundance of natural foods, like berries, and bugs.  Its been very warm here in Florida,  but I've never seen such a disappearance.  I dont see them flying around or in the trees if there's food out there.   Also, if their moulting,  would it be every breed???   I'm  not seeing my everyday Cardinals,  Woodpeckers,  Bluejays,  Finches, and more.

I'm going to keep feed out, that's why I'm buying a Suet feeder too...hopefully will see my birds again.   I'm sad, and I miss all the beauty.    Any clues what's going on?

Yes, I use a wire basket, once in awhile the squirrel will scramble with it, but a little heavy for them to take far.  I have an eye screw in my tree and the  hanger on my basket, so I hang it. Also we have a butcher meat market across the river, I buy 20 lbs of suet for about 7 dollars, bring it home and cut it in chunks and freeze, it's usually enough for the whole winter. I've had the basket for 30 years or more.,bought it at Duncraft, they have all kind of bird products.

Honored Contributor

@HLP, I have had a raccoon run off with mine and then bring it back later to be refilled......twice.  Haven't seen any this year though.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

Have they been spraying for bugs (mosquitoes) in your area?  

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin , are you getting plenty of rain?  We haven't had any rain in quite awhile now.  In fact we are currently in a moderate drought.  While I haven't noticed missing birds, I did notice how much the birds enjoyed my attempts at keeping the gardens alive by running sprinklers.

Honored Contributor

for the past month, maybe more, i am seeing way less birds.

i am pretty sure it has to do with our drought in the maryland area.

we have not had rain for quite some time.

i think the birds are going to where the water is.

i use this tyoe of feeder for suet and it seems to work well, plus it is easy to put into the dishwasher and get it clean.

suet feeder.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

I am on a break from suet feeders until it snows.  I hang them from my laundry line, strung between the house and garage.

The squirrels inch their way to it while hanging upside down on the clothesline. Once they reach it, they'll stay on the suet until they destroy the whole block.

The raccoons and possums scour the grass below at night, looking for any dropped bits. They can leave an awful trampled, upturned strip in the lawn.

I use two suet feeders, with and without a perch.

For a perch, I fasten a tree stick to the bottom of the suet cage so one bird can land from each side. If you use two sticks, they can (will) peck at each other as they perch side by side.

Watch for mice and rats, which can be attracted into your yard too.

As for their mysterious absence:

Don't know where you are, but my area is affected by annual migration patterns. Many birds of prey cross through the area, often stopping over for a few days.

A Northern Goshawk came in and stayed through the winter one year.

In a prior year I was watching as a passing bird of prey swooped through a crowd of birds feeding in my yard, and plucked a bird off the feeder, and continued away with it without slowing down.