Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE USE SUET BIRD FEEDERS??

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@sunshine45  I would keep corn out of your bird feed. It lures crows, squirrels and other bullies.

@PA Mom-mom I took that to mean dried corn out separately, not in the bird feed.  You can get dried corn on the cob and something to hang on the fence that you can screw the cob onto.

@Icegoddess  I see what you mean, but why would you put out corn at all. I certainly don't want to encourage crows,starlings, deer, squirrels and the like - right?

i enjoy seeing a wide variety of wildlife. the deer are already there eating our leaves. there have been so many in our area the past month or so.  i put out the corn mostly for them, but the squirrels love it also.

i also put out "squirrel logs."

squirrel log.jpeg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

I have a suet feeder up year round.  It’s used by Downy, Hairy and Red-Bellied Woodpecker, Nuthatches, Chickadees, Blue Jays etc

They are not fussy about the holder but where and how you hang it is important and  so is the type of suet.

If you want to prevent your feeder from being emptied, torn down and/or carried off by squirrels, raccoons, bears etc, buy Hot Pepper flavored, no melt suet.  Birds do not have much in the way of taste buds but the feeder raiders do and I have had no trouble with disappearing suet or feeders since I stopped buying peanut, fruit, high energy etc flavors.

4E63898A-1A40-4FCB-8CEA-E8997440AB92.jpeg

CF4BE3DF-5F4D-4BDE-BD6E-C3E2076C202A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@IShopQ  That is the suet I buy for my feeder. It’s cheapest from Home Depot & I usually buy 2 - 1 for use & 1 in my freezer. 

I cannot keep them up year round, I put mine up in November & away by April. 

This particular brand is mostly peanut butter (high in fat) with cayenne mixed in. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

We quit a couple years ago because it melted all over the deck.  We now stick to sunflower seeds.  

Honored Contributor

I have used suet feeders in the past, but no more.

if you hang them from a tree, over the ground, they are okay.

I hung them on my deck's  pergola so I could watch the birds from my kitchen window.  The feeders melted in the sun and all that goop got on my deck.  It was a nightmare to clean it off and we had to redo the deck anyway.  The birds never visited the suet feeders  anyway and preferred the seed feeders instead.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass   @Carmie   You need to buy No Melt suet when it's hot.  I don't understand why they even sell the other kind in the summer.  

Unknown.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   I had no idea there was such a thing.  That would be a much better choice for me.  

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@NickNack   I had no idea there was such a thing.  That would be a much better choice for me.  

Thank you.

@Carmie   You're welcome.  While you were posting to me I edited my post to add a picture of a No Melt Suet cake.  It's just an example that I found on Amazon.  You should be able to find the No Melt anywhere that sells suet and bird seed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actual hardened suet should never be used outdoors when the temperatures climb into the 60’s. The suet can go rancid. 

The No Melt Suet doesn’t contain a lot of suet, but peanut butter. 

Again, I remove it once temps warm because I want the birds to eat the insects.

In fact I started to see the downy headed woodpeckers back at the peanut feeder this past week. It means the insects they ate all summer are gone (for now).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I don't have trouble with it going rancid.  I do have trouble with it melting if we have a really hard rain that lasts for several hours.

I have a lot of woodpeckers where I live.  They are amazing to watch.  Some are huge.

It's worth putting up with the little mess from where they're melting to see the woodpeckers come.

I also buy them on Amazon by the bulk.  They are the hot one's.  

The squirrels leave them alone.  I also buy that liquid hot sauce and dribble a little of it around them and the pole that holds the feeders, etc.

It all keeps the squirrels away.