Respected Contributor

Re: ANYONE USE SUET BIRD FEEDERS??

I just heard back from my local WBU, and they're saying we need a cold front to bring the birds down.   Also, here theres a plethora of natural foods here, nuts, seeds, berries,  bugs that the birds would rather choose.  Another thing is the molting.  They rather stay hidden for now, and also the new hatches choose new territories. 

They said it's most common to see a lull in bird activity from August through November.   Keep setting up bird stations and be patient.   Happy to hear this.  I've read similar online, but I was wondering why so drastic in my area.   I've never seen such a disappearance here in 14 years,  but I'll be ready and waiting for their return 🙂🐦

Honored Contributor

Yes, I use to make them, freeze them and bring them out when one was done. the birds went crazy for them---had all kinds visit, huge woodpeckers and blue jays to the tiny wrens and chickadeesl=.. Had a flock of about 20 tiny birds decent upon one once----was pretty amazing to see!!

Respected Contributor

@IShopQ wrote:

I have a suet feeder up year round.  It’s used by Downy, Hairy and Red-Bellied Woodpecker, Nuthatches, Chickadees, Blue Jays etc

They are not fussy about the holder but where and how you hang it is important and  so is the type of suet.

If you want to prevent your feeder from being emptied, torn down and/or carried off by squirrels, raccoons, bears etc, buy Hot Pepper flavored, no melt suet.  Birds do not have much in the way of taste buds but the feeder raiders do and I have had no trouble with disappearing suet or feeders since I stopped buying peanut, fruit, high energy etc flavors.

4E63898A-1A40-4FCB-8CEA-E8997440AB92.jpeg

CF4BE3DF-5F4D-4BDE-BD6E-C3E2076C202A.jpeg

@IShopQ ...I picked up this suet today at Walmart..$1.24.   I like that it's no melt too.  I haven't put out my other nut n berry suet because we're in 80's temps.   I didn't know about the no melt until I read @NickNack post.     Tomorrow I'll put it out, and I'll top off seeds with a sunflower mix and some mealworms 😖.   I'm seeing some activity on my morning walk, but nothing feeding here yet.   We had heavy rain for 2 days, 8 in, and saw 2 Cardinals fly by real quick...that's about it.

Respected Contributor

10 days ago we had some beautiful songbirds in the trees and then there was spraying for mosquitos due to EEE. after that the birds disappeared  :-(    

i hope they flew south...they were here for most of september.