Esteemed Contributor

Re: ANYONE USE SUET BIRD FEEDERS??

I use suet feeders only. I had a horrible mess with the squirrels and then it attracted mice. I went to suet and resolved the problem. I also have woods surrounding half of my lot so we do have a variety of wildlife. The feeder that the birds seem to prefer is one that is fiarly ornate with scrollwork. The little ones hook their feet onto those scrolls/ I have all types of woodpeckers, etc. I've not had luck with the cage type. I did place a flowerless planter under the suet feeder to catch the bits that fell if the bluejays got on it. The cardials go to the planter to eat.  

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

for the past month, maybe more, i am seeing way less birds.

i am pretty sure it has to do with our drought in the maryland area.

we have not had rain for quite some time.

i think the birds are going to where the water is.

i use this tyoe of feeder for suet and it seems to work well, plus it is easy to put into the dishwasher and get it clean.

suet feeder.jpg

@sunshine45 ...I bought this one today at Lowes...reviews were mostly 4 stars.  I just went out to fill feeders, the Doves eat alot😑.  I also put fresh water in the bird baths.   But I didn't put the Suet out yet...still haven't seen one bird.  While out on my morning walk today, I kept an up in all the trees, but didn't see not one birdie☹.   

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Dazlin   If you're going to put suet out at this time of year, you need to buy no-melt suet.  Otherwise it will go rancid as someone else said.

@NickNack ...I bought a nut n berry suet.  It doesn't say No Melt...I didn't know about that.  Next time I'll look for No Melt...thanks.  I didn't put it out yet, not seeing one birdie...only Doves.  Maybe after the weekend I'll try it...thinking maybe it'll attract the birds🙄.  Just wish I knew where they are.

Honored Contributor

when the birds are around my blocks of suet dont have a chance to get rancid. it gets eaten up too quickly. i am changing it generally once a week. they make a lot of flavors.....nuts/berries, peanut butter, mealworm, high energy. of course, this time of the year will be the busiest with the cooler weather approaching.

i also have dried corn out and i have a regular bird feeder, a finch feeder, and two large dense seed block and seed cylinder feeders.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 , I used to have a dedicated finch feeder that I put thistle in.  They totally ignored it in favor of the black oil sunflower seeds.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45  I would keep corn out of your bird feed. It lures crows, squirrels and other bullies.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@sunshine45  I would keep corn out of your bird feed. It lures crows, squirrels and other bullies.

@PA Mom-mom I took that to mean dried corn out separately, not in the bird feed.  You can get dried corn on the cob and something to hang on the fence that you can screw the cob onto.

Respected Contributor

I just emailed Wild Birds Unlimited,  explained our entire area within 7 miles or more, people writing on our local blog, they're not seeing any birds.  I'm hoping they can provide some explanation.   They also have a store about 1/2 hour from me.  They should know what's going on locally.   I put out a different food today, and will try different ones...not going to over do it for now, since there's nothing around.  But I have 5 different feeders, with seeds in them.  As I mentioned earlier,  not even seeing one in the trees throughout the neighborhood. 

I'll hold off on putting the suet out...its very hot here.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@PA Mom-mom I took that to mean dried corn out separately, not in the bird feed.  You can get dried corn on the cob and something to hang on the fence that you can screw the cob onto.

@Icegoddess  I see what you mean, but why would you put out corn at all. I certainly don't want to encourage crows,starlings, deer, squirrels and the like - right?

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

we have tons of squirrels and deer and chipmunks in our yard.....no way to keep them out.

however, the corn i put out is on a stake type of holder......it holds an ear of dried corn rather than mixing it in with the birdseed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein