Honored Contributor

Re: serving at a funeral dinner

I don't want to offend anyone ,or make them think, this is so unimportant to me, I will just wear anything I please

Honored Contributor

@cherry   You chose appropriate clothing which I think is respectful.  More importantly, is the service you are giving.  Much respect to you and your husband.

Honored Contributor

I know the family of the gentleman that has passed away. They were neighbors of mine ,when I lived at home, with my parents.

His wife is a dear lady ,who has given of herself  so many times, I want it to be as nice as it can, to give them a feeling of a community that cares about them

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry   Thank you for caring.  Your volunteering is appreciated, I'm sure.  Just the fact that you care enough to look appropriate is telling.  

Absolutely, both wear comfortable shoes.  Dark, non-descript clothing (washable and comfortable) will be perfect.  

God bless you for being so kind.

Honored Contributor

I would wear dressy casual, no jeans.

Honored Contributor

@cherry I would suggest dark slacks and a soft colored top or blouse. 

Thank you for all the kindness you bring into people's lives. 

Trusted Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@cherry   I would wear dress pants and a nice top.  

Speaking of funerals and wakes, I am still of the old school. I, always, wear a dress and heels.  Recently, I have noticed that some do not dress at all, not even in dress pants.  It amazes me that they are dressed way beyond casual, jeans and shorts, too.  I understand that what is important is they cared enough to pay their respects but come on.

I feel the same way about Mass as well.  Some of the outfits are just awful.  I'm not saying you need to come in a ball gown but jeans, shorts, flip flops, they look like they should be cleaning their house!

Things have changed, now a days but I,truly, believe casual is not always appropriate.  Must be a sign of my age!

I  am old school also and believe that when you are in God's house you should dress in your best.  When I go to church I always wear a skirt suit or a dress.  If it is unusally hot I wear a pretty skirt with a nice top and I always wear heels.  I dress now like I did 40 years ago, nothing has changed.  I never go anywhere unless I am properly dressed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry    For your husband -- white shirt, black pants and black tie if he has one and for you white blouse, black skirt or pants.  You want to look like you are wearing uniforms.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

As I am leaving for 4 p.m. Mass right now and totally agree about no respect.   Since I live in a warmer climate they think nothing of wearing shorts to Mass.  The priest say the same thing "at least they are here". Give me a break!!!!!!

We also have receptions after our funerals and the people who help out usually dress in Black pants and it can be a really nice shirt...White or a print.  Many blessings for giving back and your talent. 

Honored Contributor

I’ve never heard of a funeral dinner. I’m sure you’ll look fine @cherry .