Honored Contributor

Re: "Best Selling Designer on the Q!"

@roeroe1005 wrote:

Susan's clothes used to be sold in Bloomingdales.  I remember seeing them in their catalogs, back in the 80's.  This is before she became "exclusive" on the Q.  

Yes, she was talking about this one day. She said they called her Dottie Graver because she loves polka-dots. I think she was a designer but that was then.

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover  Of course, everyone is entitled to their personal opinion!  In the fashion world, the most iconic award that can be given is the Cody Award which is equal to the Oscars.  The Cody Awards, also, has a Hall of Fame Award that is given out.  It is a very prestigious award in recognition of design.  Issac has won these but he is not the only one.  Louis Dell Olio has as well.  So, I would have to disagree with you that Isaac is the only iconic and famous true American designer at the Q. Louis Dell Olio is definitely in that category. They both have been recognized by their peers for their work within the fashion world.

Bob Mackie is another wonderful designer and has received many Emmy awards for his costume designs and I am sure will be nominated for a Tony this year for his designs for The Cher Show on Broadway.  He is considered iconic within his field.  Costume design is separate from the fashion world.

Respected Contributor

Susan Graver may sell more clothing items then others on the Q, but to compare her clothing to real designers...please, she is not even in their league. Altho she likes to price her items as if she were. The clothing quality and value for your buck is not there, her prints are matronly and some are just plain ugly. she is just pumping out clothes without thought to a women's body. Stopped buying her items a while ago after recieving inconsistanat sizing and poor quality garments. No more SG for me.  There are many real designers on the Q where I can get good quality clothes from, Bob M.  Joan R.  Louis, etc.

Regular Contributor

No...she is not in the same class with Louis or Bob M...but her prices are!   I bought Louis' tuxedo jacket and it looks, and fits like something I bought in a very high end department store for double or triple the price.  

Honored Contributor

I think these two lines are designed by committee.  A true designer is someone like Louis Del Olio or Marc Bouwer.  

Respected Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

Susan Graver may sell more clothing items then others on the Q, but to compare her clothing to real designers...please, she is not even in their league. Altho she likes to price her items as if she were. The clothing quality and value for your buck is not there, her prints are matronly and some are just plain ugly. she is just pumping out clothes without thought to a women's body. Stopped buying her items a while ago after recieving inconsistanat sizing and poor quality garments. No more SG for me.  There are many real designers on the Q where I can get good quality clothes from, Bob M.  Joan R.  Louis, etc.

@Rockycoast

Respected Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

@Rockycoast

But, ALL her items are "figure flattering!!!"

Trusted Contributor

The GILI line under Lisa Robertson was one of the biggest phenoms ever seen at the Q. It was the first high end line made to make u feel u were strutting it on Michigan ave in Chicago or in Paris.
Honored Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

I'd add David Dangle in with Bob and Louis.

David knows every seam, dart, and type of stitch used on the Joan Rivers line and why it's there.

And David's been recognized as being a "designer" by people who hand out awards.

Susan's name may be on the label, but that doesn't mean she had anything to do with designing it.

I agree. IMO, SG is a manufacturer, NOT a designer. There's NOTHING special about her clothing, her prints are HIDEOUS, and her clothing is overpriced, CHEAP polyetser material.

@manhattan1950.  A manufacturer cuts and sews clothing.  Do you think Susan does that?  No, but she does often mention those who do, especially those in the USA.

YOU may not care for prints but many people do, and I would not insult them by labeling their preference as hideous.  There are many variations and some are quite lovely.

Polyester is a miracle fabric and comes in many variations as it can be made to mimic anything from fine silk to wool.  Like many things, it comes in many qualities from cheap to very expensive.  Susan's clothing is popular because her fabrics are comfortable, launder like a dream, pack with no wrinkles, are durable and never seem to wear out, are colorful and never fade, come in styles and colors to suit everyone.  You find fault with all of that?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

You can find some of Susan's stuff on Walmarts web site......I don't think she is in the same Designer Class as Louis, Bob Mackie.....

@Nataliesgramma.    You can find Louis and Bob in some very humble places too....like Walmart and eBay.  I really get tired of Q's designers tooting their own horns and bragging about their wonderfulness.  Most of what they produce is quite ordinary and most have sold out and are working for soneone els

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment