Trusted Contributor

Re: When did curvy become a euphimism for plus sized?

About a decade ago? 

I hate it. Just call fat fat, thin thin, average average. No judgement or shame in those words. Just accurate descriptions. 

Yes. Thin women can have curves.  Thin women can be straight up-and-down. Fat women can be hourglass. Fat women can have rolls. Thin women can be flabby. Fat women can be taut. And everyone and everything else in between. 

I also dislike Plus-Size. Plus what? It's different than Petite, Regular, Tall (where it's about length and proportions in clothes).  Why a different category for fat women. It's not the 60s(?) when it was a new category and had to (I guess) be distinguished from the other sizes.  I agree -- there's no Minus-Size. Why the segregation, now? 

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Sooner @I think it’s silly to have to canoe up with a politically correct way to describe a persons size.I believe if we could just accept everyone for themselves we wouldn’t have to be troubled about size differences.We all know what size we are,what size we would like to be someday.we could be the fortunate one amongst us who accept and love themselves as is.

@dex  Oh I agree with you.  But really, when you stop and think about it "PLUS size" is really a negative connotation.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Sooner 

Rather than finding fault with what others feel works, why don't you put a positive spin on it and share in one or two words what you would call sizes 18 and up. 

@magicmoodz I don't have any ideas about it.  What I said were my thoughts.  I'm not sure plus size is a better thing than curvy.  None of it makes any real sense. So I have no spin positive or negative.  I'm simply playing the devil's advocate here.  Tossing out some thoughts to chew on.

@Sooner 

Thanks Sooner. I understand your sensitivity in calling a woman Plus Size.  I personally don't find it offensive as there are many beautiful women who fall in this category.

Respected Contributor

I thought curvy meant busty.  But true, they call JLo curvy and she has an hourglass figure.  I didn't think curvy meant overweight.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why can't sizes just be numbers? 

The euphemisms just sound silly and inaccurate.  As has already been pointed out, size 2 can be curvy, size 22 can be a rectangle.  

If you're not a perfect 2 or a perfect 22 (perfect being the same measurements as those in the corresponding sizing chart), you probably will need to have your clothing altered.   I think the reason that many retailers (including QVC) sell a lot of shapeless and "forgiving" clothing is so that it fits a wide variety of shapes within the same size.  2 size 10's can look very different and have very different needs in fit.

Personally, I don't think calling anyone "fat" or "skinny" is helpful.  And "average" is pretty meaningless.  Even if the current "average" sized American Woman is a 14.  The number still doesn't address the body shape (hourglass, pear, apple, rectangle, triangle, inverted triangle).

Honored Contributor

There are different degrees of every size and shape of women. You can be curvy and not overweight, nor an hour glass shape

Much of what determines anyone's size is their ribcage and pelvis. It isn't always about your weight, but, if  the bones are  spaced narrow, wide, or in between

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Why can't sizes just be numbers? 

The euphemisms just sound silly and inaccurate.  As has already been pointed out, size 2 can be curvy, size 22 can be a rectangle.  

If you're not a perfect 2 or a perfect 22 (perfect being the same measurements as those in the corresponding sizing chart), you probably will need to have your clothing altered.   I think the reason that many retailers (including QVC) sell a lot of shapeless and "forgiving" clothing is so that it fits a wide variety of shapes within the same size.  2 size 10's can look very different and have very different needs in fit.

Personally, I don't think calling anyone "fat" or "skinny" is helpful.  And "average" is pretty meaningless.  Even if the current "average" sized American Woman is a 14.  The number still doesn't address the body shape (hourglass, pear, apple, rectangle).

I see nothing wrong with those words. Use them without judgment and they're not charged. Average is a statistical norm. 
I'm talking about everyday usage. You don't describe someone you met as tall, green eyes, red hair, size 22. You say tall, green eyes, red hair, large big plus curvy fat (take your pick- you don't know someone's size. You choose a word that describes a generality.)

Honored Contributor

@Sooner @I was just talking to my son about this while he was driving home from work.He said call him whatever you want.He knows he is overweight and he is certain that everyone with eyesight isn’t thinking otherwise.He agrees that acceptance of people for all their differences is the kindest attitude.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know curvy was a euphemism for plus-size.   First of all, does plus need a euphemism?  

Second, I'm definitely curvy - Most often now, I buy a 10 or a 12.  I know some snobs who consider that plus-sized, but how condescending can they be?

Thirs, some plus-size women are not curvy - at least by my definition.

here at the Q, I don't buy clothes from lines that don't use a curvy model.  I figure there's a good reason for that in the design of what's being sold!

Valued Contributor

@dex Because everybody is offended by everything,  I guess it's a nicer way of saying you're bigger than the size 0, 2 , and 4s that the fashion world has catered to since forever.  Years ago when I shopped B&M stores, several well-known designers--Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors,, Calvin Klein, Liz Claiborne--ventured into the  "curvy" girl market.  I have no idea whether they are still making the larger size clothes since most of the stores I shopped are no longer in business.

Bottom line, most women know what size they are.  I never enjoyed shopping Coldwater Creek because all the sizes were together.  I'm never going to fit into anything in the misses, juniors, or petite sections of department stores.  I'll never buy from Laurie Felt, Lisa Rinna, or Giuliana Rancic--and this is my opinion only--since I've never seen a "curvy girl" look good in their clothing lines.

I'm fine with Dennis Basso and anyone else who wants to call me curvy.  In reality, I'm fat and lumpy.  And if you want  a true reality check, look on your doctor's after appointment summary.  If you're more than 20 lbs overweight, you'll see the "o" word which is much nastier than curvy