Honored Contributor

Re: When did curvy become a euphimism for plus sized?

A size 10 or 12 is hardly plus size or whatever anyone wants to label it. That bizarre notion was put forth by fashion and fashion designers. I'm a size 8 or 10 but I'm not curvy, unless you're using a fashion model standard. I'm tall too, so that does make a visual difference in how one's weight appears. I'm at a very good weight for my height, my Dr says.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@bootsanne @I love what you said.Lets just be real and be happy I am impressed by people who don’t care to fit into anyone else’s expectations..

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Why can't sizes just be numbers? 

The euphemisms just sound silly and inaccurate.  As has already been pointed out, size 2 can be curvy, size 22 can be a rectangle.  

If you're not a perfect 2 or a perfect 22 (perfect being the same measurements as those in the corresponding sizing chart), you probably will need to have your clothing altered.   I think the reason that many retailers (including QVC) sell a lot of shapeless and "forgiving" clothing is so that it fits a wide variety of shapes within the same size.  2 size 10's can look very different and have very different needs in fit.

Personally, I don't think calling anyone "fat" or "skinny" is helpful.  And "average" is pretty meaningless.  Even if the current "average" sized American Woman is a 14.  The number still doesn't address the body shape (hourglass, pear, apple, rectangle).

I see nothing wrong with those words. Use them without judgment and they're not charged. Average is a statistical norm. 
I'm talking about everyday usage. You don't describe someone you met as tall, green eyes, red hair, size 22. You say tall, green eyes, red hair, large big plus curvy fat (take your pick- you don't know someone's size. You choose a word that describes a generality.)

I don't believe that many people use the words "fat" and "skinny" without judgment.

A read through some threads on these boards about women who fall into both categories show that there's lots of judgment associated with both.  

Honored Contributor

Never associated the word curvy with plus size.  Marilyn Monroe was curvy.  

To me it always meant an hourglass figure...someone thin or average weight.  They have very small waists by comparison to their bust and hips.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

To me it always meant an hourglass figure...someone thin or average weight.  They have very small waists by comparison to their bust and hips.  

@Foxxee 

And some people will still try to tell you that Marilyn Monroe would be a size 16 today.

When all of her clothes tell a very different story as do her measurements.  She's an example of a woman who wouldn't be wearing an off the rack size.

Respected Contributor

Curvy is a shape, not a size.  

In high school, I remember studying the three body types:

Ectomorph

Mesomorph

Endomorph

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just to complicate matters more, why is there a range in small and large sizes--XS,XXS,XL, XXL etc., and not in mediums?  

Medium size can encompass large smalls to small larges.

We could have SM, M and LM. 

are your eyes rolling back in your head yet?

😁

Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

Curvy is a shape, not a size.  

In high school, I remember studying the three body types:

Ectomorph

Mesomorph

Endomorph

@jpie 

None of those body types are inherently "curvy".

Ectomorphs carry little body fat and little muscle.

Mesomorphs carry more muscle.

Endomorphs carry more fat.

Any of them could be "curvy".

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Just to complicate matters more, why is there a range in small and large sizes--XS,XXS,XL, XXL etc., and not in mediums?  

Medium size can encompass large smalls to small larges.

We could have SM, M and LM. 

are your eyes rolling back in your head yet?

😁

@Ms tyrion2 

What would an Extra Extra Medium be?

Sounds like how you order a burger.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@Foxxee 

And some people will still try to tell you that Marilyn Monroe would be a size 16 today.

When all of her clothes tell a very different story as do her measurements.  She's an example of a woman who wouldn't be wearing an off the rack size.

@QueenDanceALot 

I read somewhere she wore sizes 4 to 12 during her lifetime.  She was size 12 during the movie Some Like It Hot.  But, a size 12 then was smaller than a size 12 today.  

During that movie, to me, she did look heavier, but lucky her weight was gained in all the right places.

I have no idea if this is true, but she always looked thin to me.