Esteemed Contributor

Re: What style leg in jeans?

On 9/27/2014 wilma said:
On 9/27/2014 twopeas said:

I believe that a straight leg would be best for you.

I agree.

I agree as well. Straight as in the ankle and the knee are very close in width. The really nice thing about RIGHT now ... is that there is no ONE jean or pant style that designers are forcing you to buy. I hated the low rise era ... not overly fond of the wide flare from knee down ... always liked slight boot or straight leg on myself for jeans.

Good luck. Jeans and bathing suits ... hardest dang things to find a good fit for.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Regular Contributor

I think Petites generally look best in a narrower, straighter leg. I am a little under 5'4 and the only way I feel good in a boot cut is if it's a slight one and I wear shoes or boots with a two to three inch heel. I don't want to have a lot of jeans that are limited that way so now days most of my jeans are on the skinny side...I feel I get a longer line with them and have more choice about what footwear I put with them.
Respected Contributor

Check this out:

The Jean Genie

Super Contributor

I'm your height, and wear size 14-16 at this time. You didn't mention your body type, though, so I'm unsure of how to advise you(?) IMO your body type is the determining factor in how clothes fit, rather than height or weight.

I carry my weight through my mid section and hips, and I personally think that wide or trouser leg jeans look best on me. Additionally, I just like the more polished look of trouser legs, particularly if I'm wearing them to work on Casual Friday.

Honored Contributor

I carry weight in my hips so I like straight leg jeans to balance that - wide hips tapering to narrow ankles is not a good look - emphasises the hips.

Respected Contributor

I agree.

I'm a couple of inches taller than you, and the straight leg looks best on me. I like a slim straight leg best.

It may be true that most shapes and heights can wear a bootcut jean, but if you don't like them, don't wear them!

I'm phasing out the bootcuts in my wardrobe, because I find that I rarely wear them. I feel like there is just too much material in them, for someone my height. I don't like extra material pooling at my feet.

Super Contributor

I have all types but skinny leg are my new favorite.........but for dressier jeans dark denim boot cut are best. I am an apple shape but have longer legs and a short torso. Try on different types and see what works for you...........
Honored Contributor

I don't like bootcut on anyone regardless of their body type; I think they look frumpy....I am 5'4" and look best in slim, straight leg jeans. Tapered leg ones just emphasize hips, not my goal!

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 wilma said:

I agree.

Yes, and not too loose. Try to get it fitted. Not tight, not loose.
Contributor

I agree with sticking with straight leg or tapered leg. I too am an XL/1X and 5'6 and I find boot cut does not look right on me unless I am wearing a shoe with a little lift to it; (kind of an odd triangle hanging below my knees.) I do think it depend on what you feel confident and comfortable wearing. I think straight leg pants are really classic, more versatile with tunics and such, and can be dressed up or down. I look at boot cut as more casual. I like the Denim & Co. How comfy pants (but the waist is sometimes big), and Dream Jeannes are great too. I hope you find a winning look!