Honored Contributor

'The Feminist Wears Chanel' -- A Thoughtful Article on Fashion from Today's Washington Post

[Note mention of "pin-striped walking shorts," "crisp white shirt" and "olive drab." Thank you, Louis, for bringing the latest to us.]

PARIS – The interior of the Grand Palais was transformed into a city street. Trompe l’oeil Beaux Arts buildings rose up from a fake sidewalk and puddles of real water lay stagnant by a mise en scene curb. Once again, Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld had given his audience an eyeful to look at besides the clothes. But this season, he also gave his guests a few thoughts to consider.

The theme of the spring 2015 collection was feminism. What does that mean in the realm of designer fashion, where so much of the business is wrapped up in a subtext of female imperfection and insecurity? Is there a kind of empowerment in a $5,000 bouclé suit and a pair of golden sandals? Can this be anything more than a gimmick when it comes from a designer who reportedly called singer Adele “a little too fat” when she did not ask for his expert assessment of her weight?

The show began with a symbolic gesture – having the models walk the street-turned-runway in groups. Instead of one woman strutting along in a kind of competitive walk-off, the women – except for a few stars such as Gisele Bündchen, ambled along chatting with one another, looking like a bunch of exceptionally well-dressed colleagues heading toward an afternoon appointment.

The clothes were gorgeous: an entire group of olive-drab jackets and skirts, a series of pop-art prints in bold fuchsia, glittering silver dresses constructed of tiny rectangular paillettes that called to mind concrete blocks. An ivory skirt suit was enhanced with a layer of pale pink spangles. A black skirt was layered over narrow black trousers and worn with a trim little black jacket and a crisp white shirt. Black pinstriped walking shorts were matched with lavish white blouses.

The shoes were made for walking. The golden sandals were practically flat. The black slippers had a solid block heel. The models carried sleek portfolios, wore wire-rimmed glasses and had their hair styled simply.

As the final models disappeared from sight, the sound of Chaka Khan’s “I’m Every Woman” began to blast over the speakers. It was abruptly interrupted and after a moment of expectant silence, the models reappeared en masse, marching with picket signs with slogans such as “Feminist But Feminine,” “Be Your Own Stylist” and “History Is Her Story.” The models paraded down the runway, many of them laughing and giddy. Who wouldn’t guffaw at a sign reading, “Boys Should Get Pregnant, Too”?

The scene was played for laughs, which was expected. And that’s too bad. Because buried under the paillettes, gold and glitter are very real questions about the role fashion plays in empowering women and in diluting what power they have. The topic of feminism and fashion has been explored before, but typically it has been done within the realm of esoteric brands, T-shirt slogans, designer philanthropy and in the condescending chatter of academics. In the late 1990s, the literary critic Elaine Showalter penned an essay for Vogue, “The Professor Wore Prada,” in which she explored (confessed) her affection for fashion. Discussion boards practically exploded in scholarly outrage.

The subject, however, deserves a fair hearing – and a thoughtful one. It doesn’t require a lengthy dissertation on female control, the feminist body or the evil of high heels. A company need answer only a simple question: Is the fashion industry doing all it can to make its customers’ lives better?

Frequent Contributor

Re: 'The Feminist Wears Chanel' -- A Thoughtful Article on Fashion from Today's Washington Post

Thank you for posting this, Goldie. Although I am no fan of Karl Lagerfeld, and I feel badly that the whole thing got "played for laughs", I would like to see more dialogue on the relationship between feminism and fashion. The second wave of feminism affected me deeply as a teenager and I've remained committed to its ideals ever since (in varying degrees). However, I love fashion!

Respected Contributor

Re: 'The Feminist Wears Chanel' -- A Thoughtful Article on Fashion from Today's Washington Post

Thank you for posting the article, Goldie76!

I didn't purchase the Pinstriped Suit - it really is beautiful!

Respected Contributor

I too enjoyed the article, great to see pinstripes and comfy shoes, albeit gold shoes. I think liking fashion and being in favor of feminist ideals are not mutually exclusive.

Honored Contributor

I think I prefer Louis' pinstripe suit better than the one shown here. I prefer subtlety instead of 'in your face' pinstripes. The outfit above reminds me of what maybe a circus clown might choose to be seen in the center ring.

Thanks Louis for looking at the trends and making the trends in your own special way.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Oh, please. Those couture fashion shows are all circus ,silliness, and photo ops for celebrities anyway. There is no "message" and no one takes anything that happens on those runways seriously anyway.

Super Contributor

On 10/1/2014 chrystaltree said:

Oh, please. Those couture fashion shows are all circus ,silliness, and photo ops for celebrities anyway. There is no "message" and no one takes anything that happens on those runways seriously anyway.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Regular Contributor

Thank you for this post! Just a week or two ago, I was looking at photos and writings about highlights of Fall Fashion Week and thinking how many trends already are in my closet via Linea. This is and always has been the genius of LDO, that he brings real American women wearable classic clothes inspired by the European (and American) runways.

Valued Contributor

On 10/1/2014 chrystaltree said:

yeah and the most successful Victoria Secret's model Giselle touting feminism is truly funny-

her body is her $$ maker -yes I take that message seriously !!!!

Respected Contributor

I went on Style.com after Louis mentioned it last night and start looking at the various designer runway slide shows. Honestly, I think Lagerfeld was horrid---just cartoonish--especially the top and pants that had those wide colored horizontal bands---a clown suit came to mind! Lagerfeld is now just a caricature....

I loved Valentino, Elie Saab and Givenchy--all swoon worthy. I saw that St. Laurent had a White Blazer with Black Pinstripes, too.

I hope to view more of the runway slide shows when I get a chance.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel