Esteemed Contributor

Re: Versatile Clothing?? / Dress up/down??

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Obviously it goes without saying that some clothes aren't going to do double duty.  I'm not wearing athleisure pants to work or church nor am I wearing a cocktail dress to walk my dog.

But I prefer that most of my clothing be able to be worn for multiple occassions or places.  I own many dresses that I can wear to work or throw on a casual flat or flip flop and wear them to a grad party, shopping, casual get together with friends.  There are a few exceptions where a dres is only for casual wear or a wedding/cocktail event. 

Most of my tops can be worn with jeans or with a pair of slacks to work.  Again there are a few exceptions.

I don't have the desire to have a totally separate wardrobe for everything.  Nor do I want to spend the money.         

I agree with you.  Fashion should be fun not ridged.  I like to interchange items and am surprised when pieces I never thought of putting with certain other pieces look great together.  accessories make a big difference.  

Honored Contributor

I think in this day/age of minimalizing & ‘Marie Kondo’ing’,

people are realizing they don’t need a closet full of clothes

with a specific outfit for this & a specific outfit for that. 

It’s refreshing to have dual/multiple scenarios for your 

clothing pieces.

Esteemed Contributor

I do wear much of my clothing in different ways.  There are some exceptions, a few pieces that are not versatile. I do have home clothes I wouldn't take outside, because I want to be comfortable at home but I don't necessarily look good in them.  Just like I wear my hair up at home, but mostly down outside the home (except summer).  Shorter pants and jeans are also limited, as are t shirts and some tops.  But most of my clothes are versatile . Change the look with shoes and jewelry. I could wear a little dress with sandals to knock around, or wear nicer jewelry and dressier shoes to an evening or professional event.  My black pants go everywhere.  I don't over think it, just wear what feels comfortable for the occasion and mood

Honored Contributor

For the most part, I have very separate categories of clothing.  I have a very few basic pieces, tops, slacks, that can go into different areas. But mostly, my clothing is really divided into specific areas of wearability.  Wearability --- is that a word??? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA 

I tend to have separate outfits for different occasions. I think this comes from my upbringing. We had our play clothes, school uniform, & our church/dressier clothes. There was never any crossover. 

I currently have lots of dresses because I am a soloist in my church choir. I don’t wear them casually, but none of them are t-shirt, sundress, or casual styles. 

When I was working I had my work wardrobe of tailored pants, tops, jackets, skirts, and sweaters. Some of my tops and sweaters could do double duty with jeans, but I rarely did. Even now that I am retired I find it difficult to put a dressier top with jeans. Looks great on others - just not my style. 

I have my “around the house clothes” and nice looking casual clothes for running errands, going out with friends, etc. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I agree with @ALRATIBA ;  I have chore specific clothing.   If i put on a pair of jeans, I may be scrubbing toilets so I surely wouldn't put on a velvet top.  I don't go anywhere where it would be appropriate to wear a dressy top and jeans.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to clean the bathroom. No ball gown for me today. 😄😄😄