Honored Contributor

Re: Too old to wear jeans?

[ Edited ]

I see a lot of older (60 and up) women that are wearing rather faded jeans, often too tight, with some sort of t-shirt--like a rock concert t-shirt or one that has something written on it, along with some tennis shoes of some sort that are maybe in disrepair.  I just edited to add I think that dates you. . . (as if we need it! LOL!!!).

I see that look a lot and to me, it isn't something that does a lot for their appearance.  I think if you are older, like me, you look better in a pair of pants and a shirt or sweater or a nicer t-shirt in a dark solid color with a few pieces of nice jewelry and your hair combed and some makeup on.  It makes a world of difference and doesn't take that long.

NICE jeans that fit and are a dark color and good cut and fit still look great on most women with a blouse, sweater or nice jacket of some sort, and other accessories.

So in that case, jeans are great.  I think it depends on the kind of jeans, style, cut, and what you wear with them.  It is easy for jeans to just look sloppy when you aren't "young and cute" any more.  You just tend to look a little worn and faded and worn and faded jeans. . . 

Not point at anyone, but sometimes I think it take so little to "kick it up a notch" and wonder why some women don't seem to care any more.  I know some who look at not caring about their appearanc as something they have earned, so more power to them if that's what they want I guess.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  Well then there are a lot of teenagers around here that are dated and aged because what you describe is exactly what they wear.

Trusted Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

We are Americans.  We INVENTED jeans.  Not going to have any Brits (or anyone else) telling me when and for how long I can wear my jeans.

HEAR HEAR !!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Baby Boomers will have to have jeans pried out of their hands before they give them up. Not in this lifetime!

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I missed this discussion on The Today Show.  Did anyone else read this on MSN or elsewhere? 

"A great pair of jeans never goes out of style. But according to a new study by British company CollectPlus, there's an age at which we should find a new way to be stylish.
And that age ... is 53."  (article by Embry Roberts)

What are your thoughts?   Do you think there should be an age limit on wearing jeans?  I say a resounding "NO!"  I'll wear them till I'm too senile to choose my own clothing.

I'm interested in others' opinions.

@tototwo

I did not see or read this.  52??? What?  Seriously? That is crazy.  No way.  Wear them for as long as you enjoy them and feel comfortable in them.  There are so many styles these days -- enough to accommodate every body type, need and taste.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@BARBIE100 wrote:

No age limit on jeans. 

@BARBIE100

Agreed!!!!

Honored Contributor

I already replied but I had another thought or 2.  Looking good or bad has nothing to do with age.  Just because you are young is no guarantee you look amazing in something or that an item of clothing is for you.  The same thing with being old or older.  No one should be able to say --- she is old, therefore this article of clothing looks horrible on her.  A good fit is the most important thing.  And how you put the outfit together.  You can have a pair of leggings on and if they are ill-fitting and you wear a ratty or not appropriate top, then a person of any age will look bad.  

I do like jeans and I do like leggings.  Even though I think some of the jeans with the holes, distressed looking ones are very cute, I would never wear them as I feel these are best left to the younger set.

As for leggings, I wear them also.  But I always wear them with a longer top that covers the tummy, back side and hip area.  

I don't think it is for anyone though to dictate what age we can wear what.  I mean, we  pay for what we buy and we should be able to enjoy whatever we want.  Just because someone else thinks we don't look nice --- so what?  Turn the other way and don't look at me!  LOL!!!  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see an age with jeans. However and strangely, I can't see an 80 year old wearing DG2 leggings with a low slung belt and crotch length top, with spike heels, like you see the models on HSN. You wear them differently than you did in your youth. I say strangely, b/c Diane is selling jeans to older ladies and should show some models wearing them to flatter older women.

You're not striving for "sesy" in your 70's and 80's.

Esteemed Contributor

If you live long enough, dress in what you like and is comfortable....I see some outfits that don't seem to be age appropriate but the wearer likes what he/she has on or maybe that's all he/she she can afford.  For myself, I wear jeans except in the summer and I am well past 53.   I never use an age rule applied to fashion.  I guess I look ok as I get my share of compliments.  Of course, when I was working I wore business attire as jeans were not permitted. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Too old to wear jeans?

[ Edited ]

I am 64 and jeans and boots have always been my choice.  You can dress them up or down depending on the occasion.  The only time I didn't/don't wear jeans is to weddings and when I worked and I was on an interview panel.  For other days at work I always had nice tops and vests.  When I had special meetings, conferences or out of offce trainings I just wore a blazer and looked way better and more professional than many who wore ill fitting, wrinkled clothing.  I search for jeans that fit nearly perfect and now have about 40 pairs.  For me lower cut jeans are so comfortable also and do not dig into the waist when sitting and I do often wear distressed jeans (not a new look for me though as I aways have worn jeans that are worn and torn rather than getting rid of my favorite jeans).     If anyone saw me without jeans they would think I had dementia or had gone out of my mind!! How silly it is to go by what so called fashion experts say!!