Super Contributor

@lovesallanimals If you are at all crafty, there are many examples online of wreaths, Christmas tabletop trees and other innovative items made from costume jewelry. That way you could still enjoy it in another form. I have a wooden jewelry box that I covered on the top with some vintage pieces from my grandmother and mother. It gives me great pleasure to see it every day.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I enjoy reading your posts.  I also have way too many clothes and clothes that do not fit with my current lifestyle.  Since I am a widow and do not work, I don't go out that much and I have a lot of nice Linea outfits, etc. that I seldom wear.  I think everything in my closet(s) fit me, but I just don't get around to wearing a lot of the items.  I also do my make-up etc. every day and dress good enough to go out if I choose to or have an appointment, etc.  Since I have lived alone for the past few years, every closet has my clothing in it.   In Dec. I vowed I wouldn't buy anything for a long time.  Well, saw some good sales and I did buy in Jan. and Feb.  I've also been purging since I lost weight and some items were not a good fit, and not worth taking for alterations.  I donate to Amer. Cancer Soc. Discovery Shop (the best items), and to Hope Station and Salvation Army, etc.   My kids don't seem to care what I buy, but they probably don't realize how much I really have.  I am ashamed in a way and yet I look at it like it is something I enjoy and I like to look as nice at possible at my advanced age.   It's nice to share thoughts on this forum.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT  I'm another one that buys and wants to dress for a life I had, not the life I live now.   Way too many clothes and I admit it, but can't part with anything that fits.  I have donated a lot of shoes this past year.  Felt the heels were a little too high for someone my age (even though most had a wedge heel) and better to part with the shoes than have a bad fall.  I've always loved shoes and try to match the color of the shoe to my outfit.   Online shopping is a big temptation since it is so easy.  When I go to the mall, it's a waste of time as the stores here have nothing in my size and no selection of colors, etc.

Super Contributor

Well, I'm a hoarder too of sorts but haven't reached the level purging stuff. I really like your categories. Plan to come up with something similar for my never-ending footwear collection. Any suggestions? @CAMOGIRL

Honored Contributor

I normally donate to Goodwill or the church but I now give gently used clothes to a lady that works in my building that has 2 daughters.  I am happy that she wanted the clothes.  I told her whatever she does not want just say no.  So far everything is a go.  I remember a few years back I folded clothes and wrapped in colored tissue paper when donating but I did not have a big load at that time.  It did make for a nice presentation.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I can relate and in many cases.... WHAT WAS I THINKING SHOULD BE MY NICKNAME.  I have over bought.  I will say however, I buy clearance and AS IS mostly and never pay over a certain price for anything.  I haunt places like Costco, Walmart and also Zulily for styles that suit me.  So on an individual basis nothing is THAT expensive.  

But I do have too much and have started to donate to various charities including 
Good Will.  Being retired it would take two more lifetimes to wear it all.  

Respected Contributor

I actually do not have enough clothes! Need to make a shopping trip Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have been purging my wardrobe again. Most of my items are things that no longer fit. I have some winter and spring clothes in a few bags ready to go. 

Frequent Contributor

Do you attribute QVC impulse buying to be a reason for too many clothes and other items?

Respected Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

@BadWolf wrote:

Please consider other outlets besides Goodwill.  They are really not a charitable organization and there are so many others out there.

I absolutely do NOT agree with you.  This kind of hype has been out there for awhile.  The Goodwill in my small town is a huge benefit to people in many ways.  Thank goodness for the jobs they provide to people who otherwise might not be employable. 

I am happy to donate clothing to them because so many ladies are able to get some fantastic deals.  It's amazing how much clothing is practically brand new.  I know I donate many items that are barely worn.  I guess a lot of us gals have a over purchasing problem.  Ugh.

@MomCat  @CAMOGIRL  @Annabellethecat66  & all:

I was once someone who benefitted from the fabulous clothes others donated, while I was a graduate student. Goodwill is a godsend for many.

Now I have the privilege to donate lovely things back.