Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OP, I never have my receipt wrapped up with my merchandise! Who does that?? I ask for the receipt and keep it in my wallet and I ALWAYS look at the total before I put my signature on it. Sorry but this problem is the customers fault. I guess you've learned a valuable lesson. 

No one does that...LOL   You are correct, we all take the receipt in our hot little hands because we want to see what we were charged for and we want to keep the receipt in our wallets so we can match it with the bill when it comes.  That's what 95% of shoppers do.  My guess is "investigate" means they will look at her credit card history to assess her return rate and how much she spends with them and also their look at the sales associate's record to see if she has a history of similar customer complaints.....then they'll decide if they'll give her a refund.  Threats...LOL   Threats to close out her account won't mean anything at all unless she spends many thousands of dollars a year with them.     

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Give them time to do their investigation.  What other retailers do or don't do is totally irrelevant.  You didn't say how long you waited before complaining about this.  This what happens when a shopper doesn't look at her sales receipt before leaving.  It's a lesson to us all.

@chrystaltree 

I bought the shorts second week of April. It was about 3 weeks from purchase to receiving the bill. That’s when I checked the receipt and noticed the error. Yes, lesson learned. The CS rep said it could take 90 days for the investigation. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Talbots Dispute

[ Edited ]

Sure been interesting reading all the comments. I admitted in my original post that if I had checked the receipt there would be no issue. Can’t go back in time & change that mistake. Lesson learned. 

I don’t spend thousands of $ there so I realize they don’t care if I threaten to close my card. If they insist I pay for something I didn’t buy, I will close my account with them. Not a threat, just a fact. I guess I could still shop there but use cash or my MasterCard. Just not sure I want to shop there if they think I am trying to cheat them out of $30. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

For goodness sake, let’s not all pile on the OP.  It’s a pair of shorts, nothing life threatening. She was on vacation and forgot to check her receipt right then and there. She made a mistake. We ALL make mistakes. 

OP, I think I’d still call the store. They can pull up the transaction. That’s what they did for me.  

If it ever happens to you again, just call the store.  I think calling the customer service number for the credit card just muddies the water. You can always do that if the store doesn’t resolve the issue. 

Call the store. If they take care of it, then call the credit card company and cancel the dispute. 

Yes we all make mistakes as did the cashier at Talbots.I think they should ref7nd the money ...it’s not a high dollar amount to investigate.

Respected Contributor

I love Talbots - am a premier card holder (get free shipping etc.),  However,their customer service is not always the best.

I've had a couple of incidents with them - refusal to give me a 40% discount on an item I ordered the day before at full price - which had not yet shipped - along with a refusal to let me cancel the previous order, (so I reordered it and took the first order back to the store), problems with the computer not giving me the classic rewards and CS acting like it was my fault, and finally ordering during a flash sale - with a confirmation - and then getting an email the next day that the item was sold out - while it was still showing my size available online.

In the latter case I did a chat and got them to agree that if I ordered it again - at full price - and received it (they insisted it was a mistake on the computer and was indeed sold out) that they would give me the flash sale price.  I ordered it, got it and they did give me the flash price - after further emails.

So good luck.  I hope you can get this resolved.  The idea of contacting the store might be a good idea.

Honored Contributor

Re: Talbots Dispute Update

[ Edited ]

Update: Received statement from Talbot’s yesterday. There is a “probationary” credit on my account. Lists the store in Florida where I bought the shorts when I was on vacation. Maybe my next statement will have a nonprobationary credit on my account. 

Thanks for all the support and replies.

And, I went shopping yesterday at TJMaxx, and I checked the receipt before leaving the store. 😉👍