Trusted Contributor

I love the threat idea.  So productive.

Honored Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

I love the threat idea.  So productive.

About as productive as sarcasm.

Honored Contributor

@wilma  Call your credit card company.  If you don't have the merchandise and they over charged you, you set receive an immediate credit and then it is investigated.  That's how my credit card co. works.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

OP, I never have my receipt wrapped up with my merchandise! Who does that?? I ask for the receipt and keep it in my wallet and I ALWAYS look at the total before I put my signature on it. Sorry but this problem is the customers fault. I guess you've learned a valuable lesson. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

For goodness sake, let’s not all pile on the OP.  It’s a pair of shorts, nothing life threatening. She was on vacation and forgot to check her receipt right then and there. She made a mistake. We ALL make mistakes. 

OP, I think I’d still call the store. They can pull up the transaction. That’s what they did for me.  

If it ever happens to you again, just call the store.  I think calling the customer service number for the credit card just muddies the water. You can always do that if the store doesn’t resolve the issue. 

Call the store. If they take care of it, then call the credit card company and cancel the dispute. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

If you have a talbots near to you, I would take the original receipt and the product back and explain the situation. They should be able to look the transaction up that way. When they see two transactions for the same item just seconds apart, they will see the error.

Since everything is computerized with the original receipt they can probably search the store # as well.

Maybe they are having an issue at some of their stores hence the need for an investigation.

@riley1 

I can try that! Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OP, I never have my receipt wrapped up with my merchandise! Who does that?? I ask for the receipt and keep it in my wallet and I ALWAYS look at the total before I put my signature on it. Sorry but this problem is the customers fault. I guess you've learned a valuable lesson. 

@ID2 

Several of us have mentioned that we let them put receipts in bags so even though you have never done that, obviously some of us have.  I already admitted it was my fault for not looking at the receipt. Yes, lesson learned. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2 

Several of us have mentioned that we let them put receipts in bags so even though you have never done that, obviously some of us have.  I already admitted it was my fault for not looking at the receipt. Yes, lesson learned. 

@wilma, I admire your restraint. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh Yes wouldn't it be nice if some people here would stop piling on. Can't imagine going through life being so perfect, must be such a burden.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Give them time to do their investigation.  What other retailers do or don't do is totally irrelevant.  You didn't say how long you waited before complaining about this.  This what happens when a shopper doesn't look at her sales receipt before leaving.  It's a lesson to us all.