Honored Contributor

I have a great collection of jeans, lots of styles many from here - MS, d&co, logo, qf to name drop.  Tons of them are new too due to wght loss and now I have jeans that fit well, look good and feel good, I still struggle with the waistline.

Decided that's it - taking 8 pr of them to my local tailor. Dropped off 4, she just finished them in between wedding gowns, prom dressing. Tried them all on before I paid for them - HOLY TOLEDO girls, NOW they all fit!!!  I am blown away at what a nice job she did.

Just for curiosity, I paid $18/pr. For those of you who may have tailoring done, is this a good price? For the great job, I think so. I have 4 more pr to take to her all target jeans, that universal brand they carry.  These 4 are 2 logo w/ankle zips and 2 MS with ankle snaps. Love them all even more now.

Regular Contributor

I think $18 is a good price for alterations, as hemming is about that. 

Congrats on the weight loss!

Football is my favorite season.
Honored Contributor

Congrats on the weight loss.  I have almost all most all pants/jeans taken in at the waist....I am a 10-12, either the legs are tight or waist is  big.  The seamstress that does my alterations chargses about $10.00/pair.

Honored Contributor

$18 is a great price for tailoring jeans.  After I lost weight  few years ago, my tailor charged $22 to tailor jeans and $18 for pants.  They do such a great job that you can't even tell the have been tailored.  And you can't replace them for $18.  I'm a big believer in professional tailoring.  

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD. You got me thinking. Would you elaborate on what kind of tailoring was done? Taken in at the waist, tapering legs, shortening length?   Am interested in what you had done.

Nothing better than well fitting jeans.  Enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

I have a small waist even though I'm kinda apple shape. I find I either need a drawstring waist or I have to go into  an elastic waist and pull the elastic tighter or if not an elastic waist I put a few small darts in the waistband to make it fit. If your waist on pants doesn't fit well you'll spend all day repeatedly pulling your pants - very irritating.

Honored Contributor

That's a great price!  I pay $15 just for hems!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOODI think the $18 is an excellent price -  or maybe I should say that would be a great price where I live. 

By the by, I also think the $18 to get a jean you love the fit of is way better than having to search for new jeans you like as well.  I doubt they'd cost only $18 per.

Enjoy your new bealthy body!

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD. You got me thinking. Would you elaborate on what kind of tailoring was done? Taken in at the waist, tapering legs, shortening length?   Am interested in what you had done.

Nothing better than well fitting jeans.  Enjoy them.

You can get a tailor to do anything that you need done to jeans.  When I lost weight, he didn't just take the waist in.  That wouldn't have helped.  Basically, he remade the top of the jeans.  I couldn't even tell they had been altered.  My friend has diabetes and she has a big belly but she's small everywhere else.  She has tall, lean if not skinny legs and she has no butt.  She buys jeans to fit her belly and the tailor takes the tapers the legs as slim as she wants them to be.  He does the same with pants.  Of course, a tailor can shorten or lengthen.  The tailor we use doesn't just hem jeans.  I think he cuts, re-hems and he hems them with the same color of thread that is in the jeans.  Exact match.  So, you cannot tell they have been hemmed.