Honored Contributor

I suppose it depends on where you live but here in MA, where we have short summers, you don't see women in heavy neck to ankle black knits in the middle of the summer.  Actually, I haven't seen that anywhere I've ever been.  Even ladies who like black know how to do it for summer.

Trusted Contributor

I wear black often. It is a good backdrop for my jewelry, and I never think of it as "mourning attire"

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Valued Contributor

I love black, but in Ohio where it is hot and humid right now, I switch to white bottoms all summer.  Fall will be back way to soon and I will be back in those dark colors again.   I do wear black tee shirts with white bottoms this time of year.  Definitely not black head to toe, however.

Trusted Contributor

Re: So....who died??

[ Edited ]

gee, no one has to have died for more than one person to be garbed in black attire at the same time! lol! I hardly have any bright colors in my closet. I'm a black, charcoal grey, navy, olive green person. accessories and really cool footwear brighten up my outfits and make my clothes look more expensive than they are. 

Respected Contributor

@BARBIE100 wrote:

I wear black often. It is a good backdrop for my jewelry, and I never think of it as "mourning attire"

I wear a lot of black and white in the summer.  I just love the look of it.  I have black slacks, skirts, dresses, etc.  You can always add accessories and a colorful jacket or as you stated a backdrop for a beautiful piece of jewelry.  I love color too, but black is classic.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BARBIE100 wrote:

Black is no longer considered mourning attire, but there was a time when it was, especially in certain ethnic communities.  When a woman lost her husband, a parent, child or other close relative, it was traditional  -- and expected-- that she wear head-to-toe black for a full year.  Thank goodness that's no longer done.  When we lost my father 10 years ago, my mother, sister and I wore black to the wake and funeral Mass, but then that was it.  We went back to our normal wardrobes immediately.

Trusted Contributor

My whole closet is pretty much black.  I wear black slacks nearly every day.  I occasionally wear a color or print on top.  Black matches back to everything.  My staple wardrobe is black, grey, brown with the occasional white, navy, taupe or berry thrown in.  Everything goes with everything.  Makes for easy dressing at 5:00 a.m. and I always look put together.  

Valued Contributor

I think wearing of black on air is due to the fact if they want to put a jacket/cardigan on they can.  It's to do with changing to other items/colors and the black is such a nretral it can be done in good taste.

Heaven forbid if Susan or a host wears a color/print that will clash with other colors/print.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm with NYC....I've had my moments when I step outside the neutrals (mainly black with some taupe, white, grey, navy, sage or an occasional pop of color) and I am not comfortable.  I appreciate color and prints on others, but for me I just feel more comfortable and professional when I stay within my neutral range. I like the ease and look (simple, traditional with a bit of edge) of the clothing that I wear.  Perhaps in retirement I'll venture out a bit more.

Contributor

Has no one wondered why SUSAN is on during GEM day.  Boy are they ever going to have a day, week, etc etc without Susan on.  It is getting a little much, especially with the TSV's.  Give other fashion designers a chance.......