Honored Contributor

One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"

I've always wondered what some of the original designs were that give inspiration for the GILI items.  Here's one example. Today, Lisa posted this to her FB page --

(Jacket: Alexander McQueen, tank: GILI, jeans: Skinnyjeans2, bag: GILI, wedge sneakers: Renvy)

image.jpeg

This Alexandria McQueen jacket was the inspiration for the GILI jacket Lisa designed, but she said she did not see the final jacket.  

The QVC GILI final jacket is A262719. Priced at $415.

image.jpeg

I think Lisa and the GILI team hit the nail on the head with this one. Looks extremely similar.  Very interesting to me.

Contributor

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"

I wonder how qvc can legally do that. It's an exact copy of someone else's design!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow! That Alexander McQueen jacket is almost a twin for the knock-off in the Gili line. I bought in the black last year, and although it was spendy, I'm sure it was cheaper than the McQueen version. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I think whether it's clothing or furniture or anything that is not patented, copies get made and sold.  And here it looks as if the sleeve may be a different design and different fit, so that's probably enough to keep them in the legal realm. 

I haven't bought anything GILI -  not for my body nor my life style, but I do like to watch.  Just as years ago I used to love the HGTV show that took an expensive designer room and recreated it for a tiny fraction of the money.

There's no way I can imagine competing with someone who has 10 times my income or 300 times it, and it must be frustrating to try.  Even Lisa with her success has no money compared to those who earn 25 million or way more than that in a year.  That frustration more than likely is at least part of what sent the NJ housewife and her DH to prison -  they just never figured out how to be happy with what was legally theirs.  Sad.

Respected Contributor

How can Lisa say she designed a jacket that was already designed by McQueen et al? Seems she made the desicion to copy it. Good call, because it's a nice looking design, but  the decision doesn't rise to the level of creating the original design. Someone enlighten me, please if you can. 

Esteemed Contributor

Whether a company decides to sue another for copyright infringement would probably depend on the deep pockets of the company that is doing the suing as well as the one being sued.

I read the Fashion Law blog which writes about companies going after other companies for copying so you might want to browse the blog:

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/

Respected Contributor

@TY Interesting reading. Copying anything seems to be part of  human nature, especially when there is a profit to be made. And why shouldn't someone/business out there provide the average person with something that is almost identical to something pleasing to the eye (universally felt as envy), at an attainable and  realistic price for the masses. But making a false claim about designing the copy of the original, although the waters may be more murky legally, just seems dishonest and phony. That may be the way the business works, but I still can't respect anyone making false claims about the authenticity of "their" work. 

Honored Contributor

@Ttbelle wrote:
I wonder how qvc can legally do that. It's an exact copy of someone else's design!

Minus piping.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lisa said at the beginning of her GILI saga that some of GILI items were reminiscent of items from her personal closet..  I am sure there are details of the jacket that are different.  If the jacket is Alexander McQueen couture, this jacket is in the thousands.  Very high end!

Respected Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

How can Lisa say she designed a jacket that was already designed by McQueen et al? Seems she made the desicion to copy it. Good call, because it's a nice looking design, but  the decision doesn't rise to the level of creating the original design. Someone enlighten me, please if you can. 

The original idea of GILI (Got It Love It) was copying things that Lisa already owned -- she never claimed to "design" items from scratch in the beginning. As the line expanded, there may have been more original items added (based on trends). While Lisa isn't a designer, I believe she was very involved in the whole GILI line and had a lot of input with the design team.