Reply
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,157
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"


@The Lady In Red wrote:

My previous comment was in no way intended to be a gotcha...the point was that not much creativity went into Ms Robertson giving an article of clothing to the design team...

the nuts and bolts, execution and final product of the "knock off garment"  are soley the

design teams work.....

 

Ms Robertson is perceived a a great fashion icon  and a creative force  by a good number of people in the QVC community...  the real heros are the design team


I would still contend that Lisa had more input than simply giving an article of clothing to the design team to be copied. I don't think she would claim to have done any of the skilled/technical aspects of the work, but according to the blog I posted (written by Lisa), she had involvement and provided input at every step of the process. I guess one can believe it or not, but I do, because it was evident from the way she presented the products that she was very (emotionally) invested in the line.

Highlighted
Contributor
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎03-25-2010

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"

 

I will reiterate again...I am sure Ms Robertson looked at different swatches for color  and even for textile and said yes or no ...but again  that does not make you a "creator"/designer" of the Gili line

 

Ms Robertson was  the face of an in house line  that was comissioned by designers QVC hired  that was more designer inspired and at a much higher price point than most garments/accessories QVC offers   Gili lilne is still in existence w/o Ms Robertson and seems to produce  inspired designer looks without Ms Robertson...which again  lead me back to the design team'se efforts

 

 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,880
Registered: ‎01-22-2012

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"


@jonbon wrote:

@The Lady In Red wrote:

My previous comment was in no way intended to be a gotcha...the point was that not much creativity went into Ms Robertson giving an article of clothing to the design team...

the nuts and bolts, execution and final product of the "knock off garment"  are soley the

design teams work.....

 

Ms Robertson is perceived a a great fashion icon  and a creative force  by a good number of people in the QVC community...  the real heros are the design team


I would still contend that Lisa had more input than simply giving an article of clothing to the design team to be copied. I don't think she would claim to have done any of the skilled/technical aspects of the work, but according to the blog I posted (written by Lisa), she had involvement and provided input at every step of the process. I guess one can believe it or not, but I do, because it was evident from the way she presented the products that she was very (emotionally) invested in the line.


As time went on, I heard LR taking more and more credit on air for the product: I did this or that, I told them this or that. She may have been as you say "emotionally" invested, but I think she wished to have the Creative Director position. Colleen Lopex at HSN sells copies of some of her clothes which her fans like. She doesn't take credit for anything except it's a piece of clothing she liked and bought. The Design team does that will with it. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,900
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Winamac wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I've always wondered what some of the original designs were that give inspiration for the GILI items.  Here's one example. Today, Lisa posted this to her FB page --

 

(Jacket: Alexander McQueen, tank: GILI, jeans: Skinnyjeans2, bag: GILI, wedge sneakers: Renvy)

 

image.jpeg

 

 

This Alexandria McQueen jacket was the inspiration for the GILI jacket Lisa designed, but she said she did not see the final jacket.  

 

The QVC GILI final jacket is A262719. Priced at $415.

image.jpeg

 

I think Lisa and the GILI team hit the nail on the head with this one. Looks extremely similar.  Very interesting to me.

 

 


The only part of this I like is the purse.



@Winamac wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I've always wondered what some of the original designs were that give inspiration for the GILI items.  Here's one example. Today, Lisa posted this to her FB page --

 

(Jacket: Alexander McQueen, tank: GILI, jeans: Skinnyjeans2, bag: GILI, wedge sneakers: Renvy)

 

image.jpeg

 

 

This Alexandria McQueen jacket was the inspiration for the GILI jacket Lisa designed, but she said she did not see the final jacket.  

 

The QVC GILI final jacket is A262719. Priced at $415.

image.jpeg

 

I think Lisa and the GILI team hit the nail on the head with this one. Looks extremely similar.  Very interesting to me.

 

 


The only part of this I like is the purse.


@Winamac

 

 

Hi Win!  I will go you one better.  The only thing I like is the Hamsa phone case.  

 

 


I think you are probably right.  The more I look at that bag, the less I like it.  I just don't understand how such an attractive woman often doesn't look good.  Something is always "off" with her look.  Her clothing is too tight, the jacket is too short, the boots don't go with the outfit.  It just baffles me.  She probably has had many stylists giving advice, but she simply appears to be stuck in her ways.

 

Have a great weekend Magic.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,157
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"


@taja123 wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@The Lady In Red wrote:

My previous comment was in no way intended to be a gotcha...the point was that not much creativity went into Ms Robertson giving an article of clothing to the design team...

the nuts and bolts, execution and final product of the "knock off garment"  are soley the

design teams work.....

 

Ms Robertson is perceived a a great fashion icon  and a creative force  by a good number of people in the QVC community...  the real heros are the design team


I would still contend that Lisa had more input than simply giving an article of clothing to the design team to be copied. I don't think she would claim to have done any of the skilled/technical aspects of the work, but according to the blog I posted (written by Lisa), she had involvement and provided input at every step of the process. I guess one can believe it or not, but I do, because it was evident from the way she presented the products that she was very (emotionally) invested in the line.


As time went on, I heard LR taking more and more credit on air for the product: I did this or that, I told them this or that. She may have been as you say "emotionally" invested, but I think she wished to have the Creative Director position. Colleen Lopex at HSN sells copies of some of her clothes which her fans like. She doesn't take credit for anything except it's a piece of clothing she liked and bought. The Design team does that will with it. 


Perhaps that is because Colleen isn't as involved with the line on HSN as Lisa was with the GILI line at the Q.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,157
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"


@The Lady In Red wrote:

 

I will reiterate again...I am sure Ms Robertson looked at different swatches for color  and even for textile and said yes or no ...but again  that does not make you a "creator"/designer" of the Gili line

 

Ms Robertson was  the face of an in house line  that was comissioned by designers QVC hired  that was more designer inspired and at a much higher price point than most garments/accessories QVC offers   Gili lilne is still in existence w/o Ms Robertson and seems to produce  inspired designer looks without Ms Robertson...which again  lead me back to the design team'se efforts

 

 


I am by no means trying to minimize the work done by the GILI design team. They are obviously the experts and do most of the nuts and bolts work in creating the pieces. But by the same token, I don't think it's fair to minimize the contributions Lisa made. Have we even seen much that is "post-Lisa" on the air yet? She left less than a year ago, and I know the lead-time is fairly long for clothing lines (they always talk about how they're already designing several seasons ahead, etc.) Truth be told, I don't own any GILI, I don't "love" Lisa, and the line is really not my taste. I'm just trying to provide another viewpoint in this discussion.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,581
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"

[ Edited ]

@taja123 wrote:

 


As time went on, I heard LR taking more and more credit on air for the product: I did this or that, I told them this or that. She may have been as you say "emotionally" invested, but I think she wished to have the Creative Director position. Colleen Lopex at HSN sells copies of some of her clothes which her fans like. She doesn't take credit for anything except it's a piece of clothing she liked and bought. The Design team does that will with it. 


One of the differences with Colleen's line is some of the items in her line are actually manufactured by the same place that manufactures the original garment she bought. 

 

Colleen has talked about picking fabrics, colors, prints, etc. for her line as well as tweaking garments to make them more wearable.  One of the maxi dresses she did over the summer was a knock-off but she did different prints in it which she said were original prints and exclusive to her.  But the one thing she always does is give credit for the original.  She will say she bought the original from a boutique or shop in Paris, etc. and then they tweaked it if need be.  

 

As time went on, I too heard Lisa saying more and more that she designed something.

 

 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,581
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"


@jonbon wrote:

 


Perhaps that is because Colleen isn't as involved with the line on HSN as Lisa was with the GILI line at the Q.


I don't think that's true at all if you watch Colleen present her line.  I think one of the big things is Colleen's line isn't presented as often as Lisa presented her line so Lisa had a lot more time into her line.

 

I personally think Lisa got in over her head with the GILI line as far as trying to do so many pieces for a weekly show plus all the other times GILI was in a fashion line-up Lisa was presenting.  That has to take a lot of work just for the fashion and accessories alone then add in the jewelry, then came the holiday decor plus her regular, everyday hosting job. 

 

Colleen does 4 collections a year.  Spring, summer, fall and holiday. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,157
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"


@LipstickDiva wrote:

@taja123 wrote:

 


As time went on, I heard LR taking more and more credit on air for the product: I did this or that, I told them this or that. She may have been as you say "emotionally" invested, but I think she wished to have the Creative Director position. Colleen Lopex at HSN sells copies of some of her clothes which her fans like. She doesn't take credit for anything except it's a piece of clothing she liked and bought. The Design team does that will with it. 


One of the differences with Colleen's line is some of the items in her line are actually manufactured by the same place that manufactures the original garment she bought. 

 

Colleen has talked about picking fabrics, colors, prints, etc. for her line as well as tweaking garments to make them more wearable.  One of the maxi dresses she did over the summer was a knock-off but she did different prints in it which she said were original prints and exclusive to her.  But the one thing she always does is give credit for the original.  She will say she bought the original from a boutique or shop in Paris, etc. and then they tweaked it if need be.  

 

As time went on, I too heard Lisa saying more and more that she designed something.

 

 


This is my final post on this topic (really! Smiley Happy). But I think GILI changed a bit as time went on. The original pieces were almost all just copies of items Lisa had ("it started out being based on things I owned"). But as things progressed, I think more original items were created. In the blog I quoted previously, Lisa talked about bringing in stacks of pictures and samples to create different takes on the originals (“take this concept from this pair of pants off the runway and make it a skirt, or this collar on this other jacket, or this concept in a different fabrication”). Anyway, we'll see where the line ends up as Lisa's era ends and the influence of other people is felt more strongly.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,157
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: One Example of "Inspiration" designed into "GILI"


@LipstickDiva wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

 


Perhaps that is because Colleen isn't as involved with the line on HSN as Lisa was with the GILI line at the Q.


I don't think that's true at all if you watch Colleen present her line.  I think one of the big things is Colleen's line isn't presented as often as Lisa presented her line so Lisa had a lot more time into her line.

 

I personally think Lisa got in over her head with the GILI line as far as trying to do so many pieces for a weekly show plus all the other times GILI was in a fashion line-up Lisa was presenting.  That has to take a lot of work just for the fashion and accessories alone then add in the jewelry, then came the holiday decor plus her regular, everyday hosting job. 

 

Colleen does 4 collections a year.  Spring, summer, fall and holiday. 


I lied -- this is my final post! I I should have put a question mark at the end of my response above, because, truthfully, I have never, ever seen Colleen present her line and I don't watch HSN. My bad.