Esteemed Contributor

What Coat to Wear Over Long Cardigans

i own a few very long cardigans such as the one offered by Halston, as well as some long knee length or longer vests.  Now that it is coat time, I don't know what length coat to wear without the sweater hanging below the hem of the coat unless the coat is very long.  Knee length or shorter coast don't seem right.  Ponchos may not cut it either.  What to do!?

Respected Contributor

Re: What Coat to Wear Over Long Cardigans

I will confess that I have only worn my Halston duster one time and it was not particularly cold (in fact I live on the west coast where we rarely have super cold weather).  I think you should play with coats -- and don't rule out a wrap or poncho.  It doesn't matter at all if the duster is hanging below what tops it.  What matters is texture and style.  Have fun with it!  It is a beautiful sweater.

Honored Contributor

maybe a cape or ruana would look better than a coat. i tend not to wear mine with coats and just add a scarf.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'd still play with proportions.  A poncho would further extend the "short over long as would a long vertical shawl, or for the most warmth I would invest in a coat just below the knee.  Michael Kors has a beautiful white one with a little gold on the bars across the shoulders,  epaulettes.

Trusted Contributor

I have 2 longer sweater coats and only wear them when the weather is cool but not cold.  This is not something that I personally would layer under a coat unless it was a very long one.  While I like a cape or shawl over a dress, jacket, blazer, etc., I am not a fan of sweaters hanging out from below other sweaters.

Honored Contributor

I would never wear a short coat over a long sweater.  It looks sloppy to me.

I have a couple of long sweater coats, and I don't put anything over them. 

Respected Contributor

I would wear a coat the same length or longer than the cardigan. I do not like the look of shorter over longer for me.

Respected Contributor

That's part of the problem with those long, duster cardigans.  I'm not buying any of them.  However, if I did.  I'd carry it to work with me in my tote bag and slip it on when I got to work.  I don't own a long, ankle length coat and I don't like the idea of wearing a shorter coat or a jacket with duster type cardigan.

Esteemed Contributor

@brii wrote:

I would never wear a short coat over a long sweater.  It looks sloppy to me.

I have a couple of long sweater coats, and I don't put anything over them. 

I completely agree with this.  

Respected Contributor

If you want to wear the Long Cardigan say all day say at the office...?  I would simply place the sweater in my tote and put it on at the office.  Wear my regular coat on the subway with the Cardigan in my tote.

I don't think there is a coat long enough or any item of clothing that would make this even look right together?