Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

Being going on for years and years 

a preppy thing ?

@jackthebear 

Back in the late 1960s, I worked for a company that had very wealthy cllients.  One of our clients would come in for meetings ... never wore socks no matter what the weather.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't like that look either, I don't even understand it.  I'm just happy that it hasn't crossed over into real life.  It's a celebrity or high fashion look for guys.

Um...it’s in ‘real’ life.  

My upscale fitness center has male staff wearing the

loafer/sockless/shorter trouser....very sophisticated. 

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I don't know who started this trend but I wish it would stop.  Last night I was watching an after Oscars show on E and one of the hosts looked so nice in a tuxedo.  But then he crossed his legs and wasn't wearing socks.  It ruined the whole look.  What is the point other than not having to do laundry as often.  Cat Happy 

Honestly I think it started with Don Johnson on Miami Vice.  I remember people talking about it when the show was on.

Honored Contributor

This is the LaZBoy rep on QVC about two months ago.  There was some discussion here that he wasn't wearing socks. I have to admit, sockless isn't a good look with laced shoes. With loafers or boat shoes, it's okay.

LaZBoy.JPG

Honored Contributor

I love to go without socks.  Even in the winter when it is cold, I have my Uggs on so I don't need socks.  With men it may be a new look and anything goes in Hollywood.  LOL

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

There are far more grievous things in this world that bother me.

Respected Contributor

The very first thing I thought of when I read this title - Sonny Crockett, Miami Vice‼️ 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

For dressier occasions, I think it looks a lot classier if men wear socks and women wear hose.  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

Is it comfortable wearing dress shoes with no socks? I wouldn't think it would be.  I know this has been a fashion trend for men for quite some time.  I'm not crazy about the look either except for like boat or deck shoes and sandals, of course.  I think for like a tux or suit or dressy look that socks look much nicer.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

This isn't a new trend or fad. It's been going on for years - again, think Miami Vice and even before that.

I'm a woman and I don't wear socks - I get too hot, too easily. If I am traveling north, I will pack a pair or two just in case its frigid and I will be walking outside.

Not a big deal.