Respected Contributor

I don't know who started this trend but I wish it would stop.  Last night I was watching an after Oscars show on E and one of the hosts looked so nice in a tuxedo.  But then he crossed his legs and wasn't wearing socks.  It ruined the whole look.  What is the point other than not having to do laundry as often.  Cat Happy 

Respected Contributor

Probably no "joint" other than a fad.  Same as bare ankles/legs on women in January.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me, men or women not wearing sox. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Men Not Wearing Socks

[ Edited ]

Probably wearing “no show” socks. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just saw Vonic guy join Jane T on the set - no socks.

Honored Contributor

I married my first husband in 1967. He rarely wore socks. Just loafers.

Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I don't know who started this trend but I wish it would stop.  Last night I was watching an after Oscars show on E and one of the hosts looked so nice in a tuxedo.  But then he crossed his legs and wasn't wearing socks.  It ruined the whole look.  What is the point other than not having to do laundry as often.  Cat Happy 

Some people (both men and women) don't like wearing socks.  They find them to be uncomfortable.  Or too restrictive.  Or itchy.  Or it makes them feel over-heated.  

I think there are certain times when bare feet are inappropriate, but I couldn't care less if people wear shoes without socks.

(This also isn't new.  I've been seeing it for years.  No big deal, IMO.)

Honored Contributor

Maybe some guys just don't like wearing socks, or only like them sometimes. I'll grant you skipping them with a tux is a stretch, but I don't personally find it upsetting, seeing as there are far worse fashion choices made by both men and women.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Being going on for years and years 

a preppy thing ?

Honored Contributor

My sister's husband has never worn socks.  I have known him since the mid 1970's.  He also does not tie his shoes.  His shoe strings are left to hang and eventually the bottom of them wears off.

He is the owner of a big company inherited from his parents and wears a suit to work everyday with polished shoes, raggy shoe strings and no socks.