Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

My sister's husband has never worn socks.  I have known him since the mid 1970's.  He also does not tie his shoes.  His shoe strings are left to hang and eventually the bottom of them wears off.

He is the owner of a big company inherited from his parents and wears a suit to work everyday with polished shoes, raggy shoe strings and no socks.

Now i find trailing laces offensive, no idea why - no sox I could care less about.  Thank goodness I have never met your BIL.  

Actually, you would love him.  He is a really nice man.  He's my favorite in-law. He just marches to the beat of his own drummer when it comes to his shoes and socks.

Esteemed Contributor

It's definitely not a new trend! I think it started back in the mid-60s when we all were pushing a new edge in fashion (think Twiggy, Beatles, etc)! I graduated in '66 and none of the guys wore socks with their loafers in a school or casual setting, and that has continued for a lot of people in my age group. Not wearing socks with a tux is another story though....but it doesn't bother me. To each his or her own. I do what I want and don't worry about what others do.

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

That's still better than Kylie Jenner and no underwear .....

What does that have to do with anything?

Sounds like someone has their granny panties in a twist. 

Respected Contributor
Lots of guys, no socks. Loafers or sneakers only though. 40 yrs at least.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Men Not Wearing Socks

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

My sister's husband has never worn socks.  I have known him since the mid 1970's.  He also does not tie his shoes.  His shoe strings are left to hang and eventually the bottom of them wears off.

He is the owner of a big company inherited from his parents and wears a suit to work everyday with polished shoes, raggy shoe strings and no socks.

Now i find trailing laces offensive, no idea why - no sox I could care less about.  Thank goodness I have never met your BIL.  

Actually, you would love him.  He is a really nice man.  He's my favorite in-law. He just marches to the beat of his own drummer when it comes to his shoes and socks.

Not that it's my business (!), but my only issue with the trailing laces is that he might trip over them and fall.  (I can hear my Grandma in my head warning about that.)

Otherwise, he sounds just fine to me.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Hollywood no longer has any class!

Hahaha... who knew that going sockless=a general loss of class.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Probably no "joint" other than a fad.  Same as bare ankles/legs on women in January.

@Peaches McPhee, getting "recreational," are we?

Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Just saw Vonic guy join Jane T on the set - no socks

yuck...

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

My comment was a general statement about Hollywood that wasn't specifically about socks.

I really don't care how they live their lives or dress other than they are idolized resulting in too much influence on the public, particularly our youth.

Honored Contributor

I don't like that look either, I don't even understand it.  I'm just happy that it hasn't crossed over into real life.  It's a celebrity or high fashion look for guys.