Esteemed Contributor

This is the second year I have been trying to find a down robe for a gift for a petite woman.  Warm Things have them but they appear to be too long for someone who is 5'1".  They have bed jackets, but I wanted a long robe.  Also found them at The Company Store which looked shorter, but the price was too high.  Anyone know where to find one?  I've just about given up.

Esteemed Contributor

Try LL Bean - I think I saw them in their catalog last year.  Also, a few years ago Land's End had them for petite women, but since then have only seen them for men.  Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, but they are not available at either of those sites.

Esteemed Contributor

Biftu, my first suggestion would have been The Company Store, but if you've already checked there nevermind.  That said I would check back with them in October or November in case they feature a couple of long robes on their website for the holiday gift giving season.  If they have a style it will be expensive, but you may possibly find a discount code on one of the coupon websites (Retail Me Not, Wisekat, etc.).  

Garnet Hill is another site which may have a down robe in inventory.  I'm finding that robes of any fabric are not as easy to find as they used to be.  If you do find one made of down it will probaby be over $100.  The image below is from a site called WarmThings.   

Warm Things Down Robe

Was: $169.99
Sale: $127.49

Esteemed Contributor

That is the robe I was looking at, but think it will be too long, and I don't want her tripping over it when she walks.  The robe they have at The Company Store is $200.  I'll see if I can find any deals -- thanks.

Honored Contributor

I'm 5' and the robe shown on the Warm Things site would definitely be too long for me. If they show something hitting a model's ankle, it's going to drag on the floor if I wear it. 

I don't find many down robes ANYWHERE, so I thinkThe Company Store down robe looks like the best bet, because it says calf length, which  would be quite long on someone 5' 1". If it's out of your price range, consider calling the customer service line and explain that it's what you've been looking for for so long and ask if there are any upcoming sales. You might want to check again on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Worst case scenario, check the price again at the end of winter and see if they have it on clearance before Spring and keep it for a 2016 gift.

Alternately, you could take a picture of the long robe to a tailor and ask if she or her could hem the robe by about 4-6 inches and how much it would cost. Include that in your total price and see if it's still affordable. If you know how to sew, you could also hem it yourself. Since the long robe cotton, you could also use some Stitch Witchery fusable hemming tape, which you use to basically fold over and hem a garment with an iron-on webbing. It's not as clean or pretty, but it's effective. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a Down Robe

[ Edited ]

Listing of several vendors here, including Amazon and Ebay:

https://www.google.com/search?espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&q=goose+down+robe&revid=1071944751&sa=X&ved=0C...women+goose+down+robe+

Respected Contributor

LL Bean had them for years.  They no longer do, but they were great quality.  I wish they would bring them back.  I love the feel of them and theyre so cozy.  Of course you look like the Pillsbury Do Boy, but the comfort is worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu

If you're open to alternatives, this coat is on sale ($47) at Sierra Trading Post, in small sizes.

Contributor

L.L. Bean has carried various styles of down robes for many years. Have not seen a catalogue or viewed their website for some time, but they used to have several lengths and weights of down----real down--robes. Duvets, parkas, coats and vests as well.

I have purchased many down products from them throughout the years and founjd them all to be top quality, as I find all their clothes. No tissue paper thin t-shirts or turtlenecks for them.

Was in a department store yesterday and put my hand into several cotton shirts and was shocked at how "see through" thin all the shirts were----several blouses I looked at as well.