Esteemed Contributor

Looking for Packable down jackets

We will travel in May to Hawaii.  I am looking for packable hooded jackets for myself and my hubby.  Having a really hard time.  I want it to fit, be packed in a provided bag and I want it to be water resistant.  Everywhere I look online I see jackets with cautions that the products are made in Asia and they run very small.  We have limited stores in our area and online is my only real hope.  I have been searching for two weeks.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for Packable down jackets

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure why you need down jackets in Hawaii, but if you want them to take up as little space as possible, get yourself some dual-use Space Bags.  They're perfect suitcase size and you roll with your hands or sit on them to compress.

When I go to high altitudes in the summer in Colorado or NM, I always wear a sweater and I'm perfectly comfortable.  Of course I don't stay for an extended period of time.  You are likely to feel the effects of altitude if you do.

"Hawaii is generally warm year-round, but sometimes you might encounter a short cold spell when visiting in the winter months. Bring a light jacket (ideally a breathable, rainproof jacket) or sweater. You’ll probably want to have a sweater or jacket just for the plane ride over. If you are staying or visiting in any of the uplands/upcountry areas like, Koele in Lanai City, Kula and Haleakala on Maui, Volcano on the Big Island and Waimea Canyon on Kauai, you’ll definitely want to bring a light sweater."

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

We will travel in May to Hawaii.  I am looking for packable hooded jackets for myself and my hubby.  Having a really hard time.  I want it to fit, be packed in a provided bag and I want it to be water resistant.  Everywhere I look online I see jackets with cautions that the products are made in Asia and they run very small.  We have limited stores in our area and online is my only real hope.  I have been searching for two weeks.  

@bonnielu ~ Try ll bean.com

Respected Contributor

When we took that same Hawaiian cruise several years ago we went in March and only needed a light sweater or light jacket in the very early morning on the ship deck. 

Honored Contributor

Have you thought about a down vest? Easier to find and easier to pack. My son lived in Hawaii for many years and never once needed a coat

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

do you have access to Costco they usually have them this time of year,  I got one last year  and priced well 

Honored Contributor

Eddie Bauer has some of the best made down jackets. They use premium down and it's so soft, weightless and very packable.

Honored Contributor

Did anyone think that they live in a cold climate and need the coats for the trip to and from the aiport not on vacation.

Google Micheal Kors I have had more than one jacket from him and it was very easy to fold up and put in my carry on

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

LLBean, Land's End, Eddie Bauer, Moosejaw...lot's of options are available. 

However; if they're specifically for the trip to Hawaii, you really won't need anything that warm. There's one very early morning excursion where you might be up at an altitude where's it's chilly, but the same sweater, sweatshirt or lightweight fleece that you might slip in your carry-on to ward of chills on the airplane will be just fine. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu

Land's End

Women's Ultralight Packable Long Down Coat

• TEMPERATURE RATING – WARMER: -10° to +13° Fahrenheit. 
  • 800 fill power down insulation - incredibly light, super warm
  • HyperDRY™ down retains its loft (and warming power) even when wet
  • Adjustable, insulated hood seals out the elements
  • Handy two-way zipper for easy sitting, walking
  • So portable, it packs into its own pocket
  • Mid thigh length
  • Water-resistant 100% nylon shell.
  • Machine wash. I
  • mported
This coat has it all.

The combination of a lighter shell fabric and higher fill power down insulation makes this coat featherlight, yet remarkably warm. It’s the perfect weight as the weather starts shifting toward winter or if you live in a warmer climate (lucky you). With zero bulk, it slides over sweaters with ease, allows mobility getting in and out of the car, plus it’s highly compactible, making it a great travel companion. (It even packs into its own pocket!) And its longer length provides extra coverage in all the right places, especially when it comes to chilly seats. More importantly, you’ll love the way this coat looks on you. Its silhouette and multi directional quilt lines flatter your figure, creating nice shaping at the waist.