Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking for Packable down jackets

@bonnielu

Check out costco dot com. I saw an Eddie Bauer Ladies Down Parka w/hood that's packable - for a woman.

I'm sure there's something for a man.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
@bonnielu wrote:

We will travel in May to Hawaii.  I am looking for packable hooded jackets for myself and my hubby.  Having a really hard time.  I want it to fit, be packed in a provided bag and I want it to be water resistant.  Everywhere I look online I see jackets with cautions that the products are made in Asia and they run very small.  We have limited stores in our area and online is my only real hope.  I have been searching for two weeks.  

@bonnielu

Look at Northface or Mountain Hardware brands.  Cut true to size.

For Hawaii you would be better off with a light Gore-Tex rain jacket. (With or without hood).   Maybe layer and add insulated vest if you are cold blooded.   Very packable.  Also goose down does not dry fast when wet.  Better material is vest made of synthetic i.e. DWR material.

Having lived on Kauai, Maui, and Oahu for many years when growing up, (Kauai has most rainfall) IMO,  you do not need a hooded down jacket, ever, for any of the Hawaiian Islands.  Do you plan to hike or ski Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea?  

Locals wear t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops year round.  Or nice Aloha shirt for dress up.  Smiley Tongue  otherwise you will look silly, out of place, and like Mainland tourists wearing hooded goose down jackets in Hawaii’s tropical climate.  LOL.

Good luck. And Aloha.

Hung

Valued Contributor

My in-laws live on 2 Hawaiian islands and we travel there often.  Only once have I needed anything resembling a jacket or sweatshirt and that was at Mount Haleakela.  In all the photos sent by the family I have seen a couple of the kids wearing sweatshirts.  The only shoes I see them in are flip flops.  You really don't want a down jacket in Hawaii.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have that same jacket and wear it constantly this time of year. Purchased at Costco last year. Couldn't believe the price. Went to Eddie Bauer store and saw the jacket for 3x the price.

Honored Contributor

I decided to get rid of mine anyway don't need all my coats

#purgedownsize 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu I do not understand why you need a down jacket for Hawaii..we have gone there every year for years and it has always been at least 80 and very humid. The only place that you might need a sweatshirt weight jacket os for the trip Mauna LoaMaui. 

We have also also done that cruise you are taking and again I would have had heatstroke in anything more that a light shawl.

Hawaii is in the tropics..I have never seen any one in a heavy jacket there. It is always better to blend in with the locals..

aloha