Honored Contributor

Re: Is the new lounge wear is too casual for me at age64?

I change out of my street clothes with in 10 minutes of walking in the house, no need to stain or mess up my clothes while I am cooking or cleaning

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't need a special wardrobe of "loungewear" for sitting around the house.  That's what my jeans and casual pants are for.  Why do I need something else to launder?  This is the silliest concept yet to sell clothing.  All this loungewear seems to be a depressing shade of gray which I also don't wear. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't need a special wardrobe of "loungewear" for sitting around the house.  That's what my jeans and casual pants are for.  Why do I need something else to launder?  This is the silliest concept yet to sell clothing.  All this loungewear seems to be a depressing shade of gray which I also don't wear. 

ITA.  And it seems the Q is really pushing it.  All I hear is "it's so comfortable."  I always thought that "loungewear" is something you wear to "lounge" around the house, not in public.  Right now I'm wearing, as I have practically all Summer, a pair of Bermudas and a long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve T-shirt.  I don't like flowy clothes or lots of material.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Is the new lounge wear is too casual for me at age 64?

I've seen myself in "loungewear" and I prefer how I look in more tailored clothing.  It's just as easy to put on a button-down as it is to slip on a t-shirt.

I never wear jeans, again, I don't like the way I look in them.   In the summer, it's just so easy to slip a dress over my head.  No fooling with buttons or zippers on jeans.

Right or wrong, what you wear sends a signal.   No matter your shape, you look shapeless when you wear shapeless clothes.

I'm saving money by not adding loungewear to my closet.   

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Software, you made a statement that really spoke to me about my dilemma regarding lounge wear.  You are right.  Whatever I wear sends a message!  I do care about the image that I present to other people.  I need to focus on "who" I am; not so much on what I'm wearing.  I am a more formal person and would probably not feel comfortable wearing the extremely casual lounge wear.  I need to select clothing that communicates "me" to others. I should dress like who I am.  If I am comfortable in softer fabrics like those I have found in SG weekend wear and the others I mentioned at the beginning of the post, I should stick with those.  There is something to be said for being comfortable on the inside, as well as the outside!  Thanks for the insight, Software!

Honored Contributor

I don't think age has anything at all to do with whether lounge wear is suitable for anyone.  I'm more than a decade older than you @Tuppermore and if I thought the styles would feel good and look good on me, I'd be right there.

I love the idea of soft, cuddly materials, so the Anybody line would feel just fine, but my body looks far better in fabrics that have more body, so there's almost nothing but a few old, comfy mistakes like it in my wardrobe.

Overall, I think knowing what looks and feels best to us makes us look as good as we can.  Opinions from others can suggest but they can never substitute for our own judgement. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tuppermore wrote:

I watched the show, "AnyBody", because I love Mary Beth.  I have never invested in the current trend towards casual lounge wear.  I am 64 years old and wear an Extra Large.  I typically wear some of Susan Graver's weekend wear, Isaac Mizrahi pima cotton tees, and Denim & Co. french terry and knits for a casual day at home or time spent with grandchildren.  I would say that I am more classic, not trendy, in style, but I like to be comfortable.  After watching Mary Beth and hearing about the comfortable fabrics, I wonder if I would enjoy adding some of the casual lounge wear to my wardrobe.  I still want to look my age and be neatly dressed, not sloppy.  What do those of you who are in my age group think?

Of course you can do this, if you do it right.  

be sure it fits properly, 

I am in cough that age group  and wear all the trend right stuff.

wearing things from 10 years ago makes you look older 

adding

doesn't mean I wear leggings instead of pants, I save those for the gym,  or have to have everything "baby soft"

Trusted Contributor

My granddaughter wears "lounge" wear regularly.  She works full time and has 2 toddlers to chase.  I can see where this style works great for her during the week.  On weekends she is like the rest of the ladies in the family, jeans/slacks and shirts.  

Two years ago my legs got eaten alive by unknown insects while mowing and I still have scars.   To stop the bites I have purchased joggers for my yard work.  The snug ankles have kept the insects out.  The only time I wear them away from the house is to drive 4 miles to get gas for the mower.

As a 5'4" XL 73 year old I do not think I need to join the trend.  Loose clothing with extra folds of fabric does nothing for my body.   Before my accident in 2007 I wore leasure outfits while working out at the fitness center but I put my jeans and shirt on to travel to and from.  I had to dress for the office.

IMO fashion has trends so that they can talk women into buying new every season.  Of course, why would any well dressed educated woman want to look like she has no sense of style.  We watch celebrities, read fashion magazines, etc.   They start influencing our girls before they become teenagers.  Influence not all in a good way.  New shapes, lengths, colors, etc.   If they can't talk us into following their lead they won't make money.

Women of any age should feel free to wear what makes them feel good.  Look in that dreaded big mirror before you leave the room.  If you are happy, comfortable and you think your outfit fits the occasion go out and enjoy your day.  Have fun and make memories.   At some point we may not have the physical ability to do so.   I have my great grandmother's rocking chair.  To date it has rocked 5 generations.  I will someday enjoy rocking with my memories. Right now I can't waste time chasing fashion.

Trusted Contributor

I am 65 and retired and I love lounge wear. I own Cuddl Duds and Anybody. I personally would not wear them out to the store, but that's just me. While at home I like be comfortable. bothh clothing lines are comfortable and soft but at the same time still look good if some one stops over or for working around the yard. To me lounge wear is exactly what it is. Lounge Wear. If I have a day where I I need to run errands, what ever I put on such as jeans and a cute top, stays on for the day. But I home most of the time and lounge wear is perfect for me.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Jeans are sort of uncomfortable and are hard on the fabric on your furniture.    Plus, they are not really comfortable for me on an all day basis.  

I love loungeware and think there is really a place for it.  I wear a lot of the Isaac t-shirt dresses or if I'm REALLY home alone a Carole Hockman top and bottom.  That's pretty unusual though.  I have yoga pants too I wear in cooler weather with a t-shirt top.

Most of my stuff is black, gray or navy in the winter.  I love the dark colors.  Makes me feel like I'm wearing pajamas if it is bright colors in winter.  I don't like wearing pajamas at home as a rule.

Trusted Contributor

Well, I'm 72 and love lounge wear...for around the house only. I have a couple pairs of the Anybody Haaci pants along with a cardigan and a BD cardigan. 

Love these for around the house when it gets chilly.

For the summer around the house I've been wearing workout shorts(knee length) that are uber comfy and a soft cotton knit. I have 4 pairs of those..2 for around the house, 1 for actual working out and 1 for working in the yard. Got those from Target along with tees I got there also.

i have to strip down as soon as I get home. Hate anything that binds while I'm trying to relax. Jeans would be so uncomfortable. 

Soft, I need soft.