Regular Contributor

Is the new lounge wear is too casual for me at age 64?

[ Edited ]

I watched the show, "AnyBody", because I love Mary Beth.  I have never invested in the current trend towards casual lounge wear.  I am 64 years old and wear an Extra Large.  I typically wear some of Susan Graver's weekend wear, Isaac Mizrahi pima cotton tees, and Denim & Co. french terry and knits for a casual day at home or time spent with grandchildren.  I would say that I am more classic, not trendy, in style, but I like to be comfortable.  After watching Mary Beth and hearing about the comfortable fabrics, I wonder if I would enjoy adding some of the casual lounge wear to my wardrobe.  I still want to look my age and be neatly dressed, not sloppy.  What do those of you who are in my age group think?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is the new lounge wear is too casual for me at age64?

[ Edited ]

@Tuppermore

I'm in your age group and have been having the most difficult time with the casual area of my closet/shopping.   I'm not even sure why!   It's not so much transitional or winter casual...it's summer casual.   So, I'm glad you started this thread...maybe I (we) can get some ideas.   

I want to be casual...be able to wear my sports bra lol...yet be able to run up to the store or go out to a casual dinner or answer the door and feel both comfy and appropriate.   Maybe that's the balance I'm having difficult achieving.

As to your question...no, I don't think the new lounge wear is too casual for you at your age.   The Anybody line and others like it are certainly worth a try.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Is the new lounge wear is too casual for me at age 64?

I thought some of them were very pretty too. I saw the earlier show with Mary Nelson. I was wondering if that dress they showed could be worn outside. I think they are very wearable even to the store!

At least that is how they appear on tv. I guess you would have to try and see how you felt and looked in one, any of themSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I don't need a special wardrobe of "loungewear" for sitting around the house.  That's what my jeans and casual pants are for.  Why do I need something else to launder?  This is the silliest concept yet to sell clothing.  All this loungewear seems to be a depressing shade of gray which I also don't wear. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624

I hear ya about the drab, depressing grey (and black and brown and dark dark dark) in loungewear.  If it's not that, it's blush or baby pink, neither of which I can wear.  

I'm finding that my jeans are not comfy enough for lounging around...and most of my so-called lounge tops are just recycled from my "regular" wardrobe, making them a bit too dressy for super casual wear.   (Maybe it's the "mismatched" feeling I don't like?)

Also, a lot of loungewear is super big...blowsy, oversized, etc....making them too casual or pajama-like (especially for running to the store).   

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Regular Contributor

MacDuff, I'm glad to know I'm not alone.  Someone else is struggling also.  I have thought about trying the TSV's in the September Insider.  However, I feel silly in T-shirts with phrases and the questions answered about the Barefoot Dreams cardigan make me think that it would be way too long on my body type.  I'm 5'5" and a bit pear shaped.  Hopefully, we will find some answers. 

Super Contributor

OP ... you mentioned the brand "Anybody" ... at least this is cotton/modal.   Shy away from polyblends as it pills.   At least the cotton will "breathe" and rarely pills.   I do not care for the tops with "sayings" ... Peace, Love, whatever in script.  Do not want people "reading my chest."   I am your age ...  hope you enjoy and relax in your loungewear, whatever you choose~!

Frequent Contributor

I don't think the lounge wear clothing is too casual for anyone!  I'm in my early 70s and retired.  I walk over 15000 steps every day - both inside and outside.  When I'm home I don't need or want to wear jeans or button down shirts.  Give me something soft and easy and comfortable.  But also make it so if I decide to go out during the day I will look just fine and put together.  I love my Cuddle Duds and I have a couple of pieces of Anybody and I always feel so good.  I love wearing Cuddle Duds in the Fall and Winter when I walk outside because of that ease and comfort.  Even the Logo pieces I have fit the category of ease and comfort.  I'm done with button down shirts - even my jeans lie in my drawer wondering when I will ever wear them again!  Lol !  They're just too confining - though if the occasion calls for it I will put on those shirts and jeans - but that will be a rare occasion!  And finally, I don't wear any heels higher than about 2 inches - not comfortable anymore in heels - so it's total comfort from head to toe!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm casual 24/7. I don't need to look like The Golden Girls. I just want comfy. Shorts and tees in the summer, jeans, sweats and a shirt in winter, such as it is here. I don't need outfits for going to the store, eating out etc. usually what goes on in the morning comes off at night unless we go out to dinner with friends. Then it's a nicer pair of jeans or shorts and a tee shirt. 

Honored Contributor

I guess it depends on one's life style ... 

I'm older (75) ... I would have no use for lounge wear.  I can't even imagine a scenario where I would I would need that sort of thing.