Valued Contributor

I now think twice before returning anything...

I have always returned items of clothing especially that I don't like, don't fit just right or whatever the reason.  However, I received a set of tank tops from HSN, the Anthony collection.  They are a smidge too big, but after checking the price to ship to me and then back to HSN for a total of over $13.00.  The price of the tanks was only $22 for each, but I bought two as a set.  So the shipping, is over half the cost of one tank.   At that price, I will keep them.  I can always give one of them as a gift or whatever.  I am being so much more careful about shipping things back. hsntanks.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: I now think twice before returning anything...

I Just donate to Good Will....write off cost of items as tax deduction.
Respected Contributor

I now think twice before ORDERING anything. So many online companies offer free shipping both ways. Yes, I know they build in cost of shipping in the price.

I ordered a Q- Oryany bag that I did return. I think it cost $20+ to take a look at it. $12-13 to ship and then my return. Neiman Marcus has lots of Oryany bags always on sale and free shipping both ways. I like JJill but rarely ever get deals on shipping or pricing. Nordstrom has free shipping both ways. Anyone looking at Vitamix or Kitchen Aid Mixers check out Williams Sonoma for again--free shipping.

Companies consider shipping and handling a revenue source not just the cost of doing business. Some chose to be competitive in s/h charges and some do not. 

Honored Contributor

All the time people write that they don't return things because they don't want to pay the return S&H - so you lose the cost of the item plus the S&H to you just to save the return shipping? That makes no sense to me. I think people are just too lazy to send the stuff back, in which case they deserve to lose their money.

Respected Contributor

Due to the great variations in sizing and the sometimes lack of quality, I've just about stopped ordering.  That way you don't pay shipping costs either way. And when I go to the B&M stsores they let me try things on at no charge! That's a much better deal.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

All the time people write that they don't return things because they don't want to pay the return S&H - so you lose the cost of the item plus the S&H to you just to save the return shipping? That makes no sense to me. I think people are just too lazy to send the stuff back, in which case they deserve to lose their money.

In the past, I have never given a second thought to returning anything that I order.  If something did not fit, or I just did not like it, I would return it. I really never paid attention to the charges for shipping back plus initial shipping to me.  I would package it nicely, just the way I received it and back it would go.

I am far from LAZY!!! 

If you would read my OP carefully and look at the figures, it makes no sense to return these tank tops.  Like I said, they are a smidge too big, no big deal, they are very cute and nicely made and I am sure that I will wear them, not only this Summer but under sweaters and jackets this fall and winter. Or I could gift them.  I just wasn't real sure about them until I tried them on and like I said, a smidge too big, but not so big I would want to return them. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just ship them back making your own label- package them together and it can't be more that a couple dollars for the package. I never keep items that aren't a 'wow!' just because of return shipping costs. I never use the shopping channels' return  shipping label- it costs too much plus the delivery is so slow.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]
I've can relate. It's hard because seeing the garments on television isn't as good most times as ordering buying clothes from the big department stores or, the quality catalogues plus, most of them don't charge shipping either way or have coupons and codes to reduce the cost.
I have a hard time at Malls, etc because I'm disabled. I can walk but, sometimes I need to rest walking from one big store to another. I used to say, well that would be gas, lunch, etc. but these stores do not penalise you for changing your mind, or returning something. If you walk around a store and decide ~ I really don't need these pants, shoes, whatever and you put them back....do the sales associates/admin. penalize us for that? But despite the pressure to buy because they are selling out, losing sizes, colours, etc., if we cancel or return something, it is a strike against you. Something isn't right with that.
My daughter had me out to a mall recently. I truly don't think I've been in one for about 10 years prior! The clothing is not more expensive and in some stores, with sales was much less. I've compared several garment and Q isn't much of a bargain anymore. Plus you have the conveinance of trying on, if you don't know your size in a certain brand.
Recently, I had accidentally ordered two porcelane cake toppers for my daughter and her fiancé when they were engaged. It had been a year and all I had was the record of the order in my online account history for that store. They took the numbers off my phone, found the sale and gave me a full store credit! I can save it and use for Christmas shopping.
That is something that would never happen on the shopping channels.
Valued Contributor

@Gemspirit wrote:
I've can relate. It's hard because seeing the garments somewhat live is better than ordering from the big department stores however, most of them don't charge shipping either way or have coupons and codes to reduce the cost.
I have a hard time at Malls, etc because I'm disabled. I can walk but, sometimes I need to rest walking from one big store to another. I used to say, well that would be gas, lunch, etc. but these stores do not penalise you for changing your mind, or returning something. If you walk around a store and decide ~ I really don't need these pants, shoes, whatever and you put them back....do the sales associates/admin. penalize us for that? But despite the pressure to buy because they are selling out, losing sizes, colors, etc., if we cancel or return something, it is a strike against you. Something isn't right with that.
My daughter had me out to a mall recently. I truly don't think I've been in one for about 10 years prior! The clothing is not more expensive and in some stores, with sales was much less. Plus you have the conveinance of trying on, if you don't know your size in a certain brand.
Recently, I had accidentally ordered two porcelane cake toppers for my daughter and her fiancé when they were engaged. It had been a year and all I had was the record of the order in my account history for that store. They took the numbers off my phone, found the sale and gave me a full store credit! I can save it and use for Christmas shopping. That would never happen on the shopping channels.

OMG I am in the same boat.  I can't walk around the mall very long either.  My daughter and I love to shop together and she is really good about holding my heavy purse and walking more slowly for me.  

Anyway, you are so right, I have recently been out to the B&M stores and have found some fabulous bargains.  Especially the Fourth of July weekend at Kohl's!!! Got items marked down from $68.00 to $25.00 for a darling maxi dress, nice material and I have received many compliments on it.   What a great sale!!! And Kohl's always is having sales.  The only thing you need to beware of is the Kohl's cash.  If you do need to make a return, they take away all the Kohl's cash.  I went to take back a dress that I had purchased and some of it was paid for with Kohl's cash, so I have to exchange it for the same brand, Elle, and the same regular price that is on the price tag??? Makes no sense to me, but I will take it as soon as I find another dress at Kohl's Elle brand.

Respected Contributor

It pays to have a HSN card. Most everything qualifies for spendable kash for your return shipping. I've been buying so much more from HSN since they started this. Otherwise clothes are just to costly unless you are already sure it will fit.