Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think these look tacky?

No......   

Respected Contributor

I agree with @wilma that it can be subjective.

@Pook in the eye of the beholder = yes

@willdob3    ITA. "So many people wear clothing that is stretched tightly across their body. Not a good look, IMO." so true! that is why I try to pay attention to the amount of spandex or lycra in a garment .

I think optical illusion can make a noticable difference. There is a designer on HSN (can't recall her name at the moment) that designs  dresses and tops that have a wide /pulled in section (usually knits) from about the bottom of bra to top of hips that I think is very slimming too. I have a top designed similarly and when I tried it on brought back pleasant memories of when I had a waistline .

For the most part I am a fan of the dresses posted and their design.

Super Contributor

To be honest color blocking is getting old that said a dress that looks good on you or that you love wear it rock it no matter what modernize it with accessories I think as always this is a personal decision and preference only you know what this dress looks like on you the cost per wear and the value at the end of the day don't be a victim to fashion be a fashionista and wear what you like and be fierce
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I actually like that type of dress and have noticed how great many look in them as a skiny flat chested person can actually look curvy and a too curvy person can look more proportioned depending on where the color blocking is.  Hardly anyone buys clothing saying they do not care how they look and most will try to accuntuate thier best features and downplay the worst.  That is what this type of clothing does.  Tacky is in the eye of the beholder.  

On the other hand,  if the chest area is light colored in contrast to a darker dress and contoured,  the woman's breasts can look like battering rams... Too prominent. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't know if I'd call them tacky ... if by tacky you mean "bad taste."  

I would never wear anything like that.  I just don't like them.

Honored Contributor

Form fitting , skin tight clothing is only attractive on very few women. 

Valued Contributor

A dress with an optical illusion built in to the design may be slightly slimming and flattering. However, it will not make a size 1X woman look like a size 4. Tacky? That is  subjective.

Trusted Contributor

Color blocking was originally created as a look... not to create a slimmer illusion!  I owned a couple sweaters about l0 or 15 years ago but never really cared for it! 

The the only thing that makes us look slimmer is wearing all black!  Just my opinion!Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I think those optical illusion dresses became popular when Kate Winslett was photographed in one. I think the trend has pretty much played out and will be one of the things that will be identified with this decades clothes.

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

I think those optical illusion dresses became popular when Kate Winslett was photographed in one. I think the trend has pretty much played out and will be one of the things that will be identified with this decades clothes.

Yes, I think you may be right. Kate Winslett wore a Stella McCartney colorblocked dress (of this type) to some awards show(?), and then it seemed they were everywhere!