Super Contributor

I know it's my issue, but how do you get beyond the challenge of wearing anything that's sleeveless? In the spring and summer, there are so many cute tops and long dresses that I'd like to wear, but I'm self conscious about my upper arms. It's probably silly, I know.  I've been even doing some weight training in hopes of going with the flow this summer.

What do you think? I want to be and feel comfortable this summer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anything sleeveless

[ Edited ]

I have 2 white and one black shrug - always a ok idea - and there is always just throw a blouse over and leave it open. I have several camp shirts for this purpose. Blouses look more casual to me while a shrug - esp. a nice crochet one looks dressier. I wear a shrug when going somewhere like church. You can always throw on a denim jacket or a hoodie too if it is cool out but I find those to mostly be too hot.

Honored Contributor

Or you may chose to tone your arms up - pushups are very good for that. Many many many pushups, and bicep curl and ... oh heck - join a gym and hire one of the trainers.

Super Contributor

I have been going to a trainer.

Honored Contributor

I think once you reach a certain age and your arms have gone a bit flabby, trying to tone them is like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have shrugs and summer weight denim jackets to wear over anything that is sleeveless and that includes tops with cap sleeves or short sleeves too. I am not fond of my upper arms either.

Honored Contributor

Accept the idea that you aren't perfect and your arms aren't all you have to offer to friends, family and people you meet!  Smile, be interested in others and kind and nobody will notice anything wrong with your arms.  IF they do, they have the problem, not you!

Honored Contributor

@RubyinNE wrote:

I know it's my issue, but how do you get beyond the challenge of wearing anything that's sleeveless? In the spring and summer, there are so many cute tops and long dresses that I'd like to wear, but I'm self conscious about my upper arms. It's probably silly, I know.  I've been even doing some weight training in hopes of going with the flow this summer.

What do you think? I want to be and feel comfortable this summer.

@RubyinNE

In addition to exercising, get in the habit of wearing a light sweater over your shoulders to cover the critical area.   

And there's always the trusty old "create a diversion" trick.   Wear something that draws the eye away from your upper arms .... a bold statement necklace ..... chunky bangle bracelets ...... you get the idea.

Honored Contributor

I have to say, "Don't worry about it".    I have a huge scar on my leg, and you can actually see the steel plate & nuts & bolts through the skin.    Nobody has ever mentioned it...........(!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I do not have the best looking arms, but I do not find sleeveless a good option. My skin burns in the sun and a light fabric with slevees is actually cooler than sun directly on skin.