Honored Contributor

I've had the ipad since the first day they were released- three of them now and iphones for several years and I use the cord that comes with the device.  I've never had one of them break.

IF a cord broke, I'd buy a new one from the Apple store.  Some of the cheaper ones have had issues, especially with the phone.  I've heard of overheating issues with some non-Apple cords.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

We've had iPads and IPhones for about 5 years, so both lightening connectors and the older, wider connectors.

We're not especially careful, and we've had some failures but mostly long wear from our charging cords.

I will have to admit that iPhone cords CANNOT survive contact with paper shredders. 

Just sayin'.......

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I buy Apple certified cords on Amazon for a heck of a lot less than $20/each.  I usually pick up about 3 at a time.  Just be sure to get the right cord for your tablet.   I also get them longer than the short original was.

I sit in a recliner to use my pad and often press it against my body.  That ruins the cord fast.  I wish they'd put the port on the side of the device.

Run it on battery which is how it's meant to be run. 

Of course I do run it on battery but at some point I run out of battery life and must plus it in.  I've been using a Samsung S2 tab, which doesn't have a long battery life, not nearly as long as an iPad.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: question for iPad users

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I buy Apple certified cords on Amazon for a heck of a lot less than $20/each.  I usually pick up about 3 at a time.  Just be sure to get the right cord for your tablet.   I also get them longer than the short original was.

I sit in a recliner to use my pad and often press it against my body.  That ruins the cord fast.  I wish they'd put the port on the side of the device.

Of course I do run it on battery but at some point I run out of battery life and must plus it in.  I've been using a Samsung S2 tab, which doesn't have a long battery life, not nearly as long as an iPad.

I guess the answer is be more careful where the cord is or buy new.  Good luck. 

Super Contributor

@Kachina624

It took me awhile to figure out how to use the iPad in portrait mode without having the cord kinked against my body.  I just turn it around now and have the home button and the cord at the top.

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I guess the answer is be more careful where the cord is or buy new.  Good luck. 

Well that might explain some issues. I plug mine in every night before bed and I usually have enough juice to last all day. If for some reason I'm doing something that's burning through the battery, I go plug it in when I get up to do something so it stays charged. I guess if you are using it with the plug, that might put more stress on it over time. 

I use mine a lot but never stream movies or anything like that, or very rarely. It's also a good idea to close apps you're not using. You'll be suprised how much is open and running if you don't get into that habit. 

Super Contributor

DH and I have had new iPhones every 2 years since 2009 and new iPads every 2 years since 2010 and luckily never had a problem with any of our cords. It probably helps that I always bought a couple extra cords from Apple that we leave in place (desk, night stands, etc) so that's got to help. But even the ones I use while traveling have held up with no problems. 

I'm not sure if we just got lucky or it's the fact that we only use Apple cords purchased directly from Apple? But I'm knocking on wood, as I'm sure I've jinxed myself now. 😄

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren