Honored Contributor

I find that my charge cord breaks after just  a few months of use. The small end that fits into the charger portal on the iPad just breaks in half-? I am careful as I can be of disconnecting it when I pull it out and put it back in. Is this pretty standard with iPads? I hate having to replace the charge cord every three or so months at $20 a pop, 

where do you buy your replacement charge cords? I bought my last on at Fred Meyers. Is there a cheaper alternative that costs less and is not going to fall apart so soon?

Honored Contributor

It happens to all Mac products, I have found it you slit a straw and put it around the end it will help the breakage.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

It happens to all Mac products, I have found it you slit a straw and put it around the end it will help the breakage.

thanks. I have been using strips of electrical tape to strengthen the connection site. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've had mine for 3 years with no issue.

Honored Contributor

My first one lasted about three years... then it started to short out at the connection site- I taped it for a while but even then it was not charging as it should most of the time.... so I replaced it three months ago and the new one broke( the metal part that goes into the iPad.) today.

@Sadiesadie wrote:

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've had mine for 3 years with no issue.

Respected Contributor

Wow, I never had this happen...I have 4 iPads and iPhone for years. Good to know it can happen.

Frequent Contributor

Re: question for iPad users

[ Edited ]

DH and I've had iPads and iPhones for about 4 years and we never had a cable break. Be sure to buy the apple authorized cables (you can buy them different places and not only just from Apple) since the others are substandard.

*rememberance of my little sister. i miss you*
Respected Contributor

I have to replace the cord on my IPad frequently also.  I go to Radio Shack - about $16/17.

Honored Contributor

I have been using the same one I received when I bought my iPad almost 4 yrs ago with no problems.

Respected Contributor

Stating the obvious here: be sure to remove the cord from the device by holding the plastic end firmly, not the cord.  I've never had that happen, but I always use Apple cords.