Super Contributor

iPad/iPhone Tips and Tricks - iOS 7

Several threads have sprung up on the iOS 7 update so I thought it was time that we started another Tips & Tricks to keep things consolidated and easy to find. So all you iOS 7 power users, start posting here so folks will have a place to come learn about the new features.

I'll begin with the new Siri.....wonderful improvement over the iOS 6 version. Tap and hold the Home button until Siri appears. Tap the question mark in the lower left corner to see a list of things you can ask/tell Siri.

Tip:

Add your own information to your contact list. Enter your name, address, birthday, relatives, friends, etc. into your contact. Make sure you click Done when you're finished.

Then, go to Settings---General---Siri---My Info. Select your contact so that Siri will recognize you. While in the Siri settings, select the Voice Gender. Siri will address you by name and will recognize your address, friends, etc.

Besides the obvious uses, some ways I use Siri.....

"Remind me when I get home to take out the trash" --- When I pull in my garage, Siri sends a reminder/alert to "take out trash"

"Take me home" ---- Maps pops up with turn-by-turn directions to my house no matter where I am.

"Add dentist to October 27th at 3" --- will add this appointment to my calendar

"Play iTunes Radio 60's" ---- I have subscribed to the 60's station on iTunes Radio. Siri will play it.....or a playlist you have created in iTunes.

Siri has become an integral part of my life in the last week. I use it much more than I did before the upgrade because it works GREAT!

Super Contributor

Re: iPad/iPhone Tips and Tricks - iOS 7

thank you for this thread. (-:

Honored Contributor

What a help! Great thread- many thanks!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This is a great thread! I wanted to comment so I can recall this thread in my history.

Honored Contributor

Bumping up.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Just a reminder:

Cha1k's wonderfully helpful, original thread (iPad Tips and Tricks, started 4/15/2012) still has tips and tricks that work for the newer iOS but some of them are no longer applicable.

Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/25/2014 dooBdoo said:

Just a reminder:

Cha1k's wonderfully helpful, original thread (iPad Tips and Tricks, started 4/15/2012) still has tips and tricks that work for the newer iOS but some of them are no longer applicable.

Smile

The tips are a big help to new users. It can be a place to start. I found the suggested apps a help.

Honored Contributor

On 2/25/2014 nutmeg3 said:
On 2/25/2014 dooBdoo said:

Just a reminder:

<em>Cha1k</em>'s wonderfully helpful, original thread (iPad Tips and Tricks, started 4/15/2012) still has tips and tricks that work for the newer iOS but some of them are no longer applicable.

Smile

The tips are a big help to new users. It can be a place to start. I found the suggested apps a help.

I agree completely, nutmeg3. I only wanted to remind, in case someone reads a tip on the older thread and finds themselves scratching their head because it doesn't seem to work. It's an excellent resource, and I'm thankful Cha1k started it and so many others contributed.

Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

A friend want to watch videos online that require flash. What would you recommend she use? Her iPad is the only computer she owns.

Honored Contributor

Every time I read this thread, I learn something new. Thanks to all the knowledgeable people who post here!
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment