Super Contributor

I didn't know whether to post this in Electronics or For The Home, so here it is. Smile

I went out with the intention of buying a new car, but quickly discovered what I want is a bit over my budget by about $2,000. I don't actually need a new car but it's time. I just thought it would be best not to wait until I'm totally without.

The dealer was very nice and it seemed like she tried very hard to meet my budget. When it was clear she couldn't, she suggested a used car. That never crossed my mind but now it has. The used car I want is at my budget and has 880 miles on it.

My questions are:

1) Is 880 miles considered negligible mileage so that I don't have to have my mechanic check the car over? When I asked that, the dealer said they could "run me a CarMax" instead. I felt stupid asking what that was and I didn't want to come across as too stupid so I wouldn't be taken advantage of. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

2) Any other tips or suggestions on how to buy a used car?

3) What's the deal with TrueCar.com? The dealer laughed when I mentioned that their price for the new model was $3,500 less than what theirs was. She said you never get those deals. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Tx.

Super Contributor

Why was the car returned with only 880 miles? What kind of car? Did you love it? I never buy a car I don't love.

It's not Car Max, it's Car Fax. They run commercials on tv. www.carfax.com

Honored Contributor

At 880 miles, it may have been driven by one of the dealership's salesmen. Ask. We actually did buy a truck one time that had been returned. It was geared to tow a trailer and the purchaser found out it wouldn't tow HIS trailer. We got several thousand dollars off and were very happy with the deal and the truck. If this dealer has a good reputation, ask friends, I think you will be just fine.

Super Contributor

Hi ennui, I don't know why the car was returned with that mileage - didn't think to ask. {#emotions_dlg.blush} It's exactly the car I had in mind to buy new but it turned out to be more than I thought. Thanks for the correction with CarFax. Would that report be adequate instead of a mechanic checking the car?

Valued Contributor

I won't tell you not to have the car checked out by your mechanic but 880 miles is really nothing. My husband bought a dealer demo with 2200 miles on it and got a great deal on the price. It happened to be the make and model he went into the dealership to look at in the first place. It might not have been the color he wanted (black) but it was dark and he was happy with it. That car lasted for years until someone rear ended him during a snow storm and the insurance company totaled it.

Good luck.

Maria

Respected Contributor

I'm no expert on automobiles, but I do know one thing - a new car is a used car once you drive it off the lot. I've purchased used cars all my life,and I've never had a lemon to deal with. My motto has pretty much become, drive a used car that looks new and pocket the cash you have left over!

CarFax is supposed to be a history of an auto. I've never used it, but certainly it should tell you if the car has been wrecked before, which is probably the most important fact. TrueCar is another avenue, but I have no idea what it can tell you or how accurate it really is. If you have a mechanic check it out, choose one from another dealership just to be safe.

Right now I have a Dodge Van - 2011 model, with about 44,000 miles on it. It's in perfect condition, handles well and looks identical to the current model. But it cost only about half the price of the new one. Unless I told someone the age, they would never know.

If you're shopping alone, see if one of your friends is knowledgeable about cars and ask if they could go with you to shop. Find a model and color you like and shop the internet to see if there's one out there for you. Happy hunting.

Super Contributor
On 7/28/2014 focksie said:

Hi ennui, I don't know why the car was returned with that mileage - didn't think to ask. {#emotions_dlg.blush} It's exactly the car I had in mind to buy new but it turned out to be more than I thought. Thanks for the correction with CarFax. Would that report be adequate instead of a mechanic checking the car?

I don't think the report would be a substitute. For myself, I've never had a used car checked by a mechanic, because I had car-guy friends go with me.

What year is the used car? Is the original warranty still in effect?

Trusted Contributor

I have bought used vehicles the last 3 times I made a purchase. For many years, I ONLY bought brand new - but found that I could get much more for my money with a used vehicle. The last used vehicle I bought (a 2002 Lexus SUV) already had 48,000 miles on it when I bought it, and guess what???? It now has 113,200 miles and still runs like brand new!!!

People trade their cars in for various reasons - doesn't get good gas mileage, wasn't the color they really wanted, they decided they wanted more luxury, etc. etc. You never can tell. But 880 miles is nothing - I would consider that still a new car!!!

Super Contributor

There was an article in the paper about buying used cars from rental agencies. Rental cars are well-maintained, and everything has to be fixed before the cars go out again. Most rental cars are driven from the airport to the hotel to the conference center and back again.

They discouraged people from buying high-performance specialty rentals, because those are usually driven pretty hard, but often the price discount is worth it.

Honored Contributor
On 7/28/2014 focksie said:

I didn't know whether to post this in Electronics or For The Home, so here it is. Smile

I went out with the intention of buying a new car, but quickly discovered what I want is a bit over my budget by about $2,000. I don't actually need a new car but it's time. I just thought it would be best not to wait until I'm totally without.

The dealer was very nice and it seemed like she tried very hard to meet my budget. When it was clear she couldn't, she suggested a used car. That never crossed my mind but now it has. The used car I want is at my budget and has 880 miles on it.

My questions are:

1) Is 880 miles considered negligible mileage so that I don't have to have my mechanic check the car over? When I asked that, the dealer said they could "run me a CarMax" instead. I felt stupid asking what that was and I didn't want to come across as too stupid so I wouldn't be taken advantage of. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

2) Any other tips or suggestions on how to buy a used car?

3) What's the deal with TrueCar.com? The dealer laughed when I mentioned that their price for the new model was $3,500 less than what theirs was. She said you never get those deals. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Tx.

It obviously is a 2014 or 2015 vehicle and if it has only the mileage you listed above? Seems like it should come with the same manufacturers warranty as a new vehicle. If the dealer won't give you the warranty? Something is strange in that auto-land.

Never take a dealers word on the price of a new car. Go to Edmunds dot come and price them out yourself. Don't know what "your budget" is, but I know the prices of some of the sub-compact cars on the market and if your "budget is on the cheap", that is the type of car that would be the best bet if you want one that is brand new.

I've always custom ordered all of my new cars so they came with exactly the equipment and color I wanted. I figure if I am going to buy brand new it is going to be exactly the car I want, not one a dealer might be pushing because it is eating up their insurance and not selling.

With a full warranty and that low mileage? What's to lose if it is a manufacturer's warranty? If they have it warranted with "a company" other than the manufacturer? That is a whole different story.

hckynut(john)