Respected Contributor

Me too. I am 71 yrs. old and my children call "me" to ask how to fix anything to do with electronics. I love the iPads and am like you. It bothers me if something is wrong and if I don't know the answer I work at it until I figure it out. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@MKR14 

Thank you. I checked my iPad and found many buttons to shut off. Never knew about this.

Can you explain what the Siri & Search does? I read the explanation on the Apple website, but it kinda didn't make sense to me. I can still search my maps and Outlook...

Thanks

dragonfly

Respected Contributor

Re: iPad Pro sluggish

[ Edited ]

Siri will track what you do and suggest sites etc that. You may like. That would mean whenever you are looking online Siri is trying to add sites for you to try that you may like. That means Siri is doing this in the background and that uses your battery as you are searching for something. This does NOT change us doing our regular internet things as usual.

I personally do not have Siri on in the settings first 2 of Siri and Search when opened. This is what it states when using Siri:

When You Make Requests, Siri Sends Certain Data About You to Apple to Help Respond to Your Requests

When you use Siri and Dictation, the things you say and dictate will be sent to Apple to process your requests. In addition to these audio recordings, your device will send other Siri Data, such as:

• Contact names, nicknames, and relationships (for example, “my dad”), if you set them up in your contacts
• Music and podcasts you enjoy
• Names of your and your Family Sharing members’ devices
• Names of accessories, homes, scenes, and members of a shared home in the Home app
• Labels for items, such as people names in Photos, Alarm names, and names of Reminders lists
• Names of apps installed on your device and shortcuts you added through Siri

I know Alexa does also this but you can Go to Alexa Settings, More in the lower right corner, Alexa Privacy, and then delete voice recordings up to when you started using it, 1 day, 1 month etc. I do this every week.

Just this can help also.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for explaining. I don't use Siri anyway, so I had all those searches going on when I would never use them! Off they go!

dragonfly

Respected Contributor

Here are a few more hints for space used:

Go to Settings, scroll down to Safari, and open.
Go to Clear History and Website sites.

You will be amazed what is on your iPad. I clear mine at the end of every day.

I also clear Google history every day if I have been using it.

Respected Contributor

@MKR14 @glb613 , I appreciate the input from both of you on the iPad.

I wiped my iPad Pro clean today, added back apps, reviewed all settings as @MKR14 pointed out above.  When I was restarting my iPad, it instructed me to hold my iPhone close to the iPad.  I did.  I am not entirely sure what that did but all my websites are saved, all my contacts are there.  My emails and notes came back through the email notes.  I think things are much better.  Will advise iphiwnit goes after a couple of days of use.

Thanks to both of you.  I am pretty sure I am in a better operating mode!  S aka Lilysmom

Respected Contributor

Re: iPad Pro sluggish

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 @Hope things are better now for you. Probably your Bluetooth was on and may have picked up your iPhone and that helped transferring things back to your iPad. Bluetooth will pick up especially if your Bluetooth was on your iPhone also. It probably did Airdrop that can go one to another when sending things back and forth to each. Either way things sound better.

Look at that! Now you have learned some things about the iPad to help someone else. Now you can just enjoy it and always wait a few weeks to see if any problems when a new update comes out.

I leave my Bluetooth off and turn on only when I need it. It does run the battery down more and always turns on whenever you do a new update.

Respected Contributor

@MKR14 , yes speed is much better now.  I just turned the Bluetooth off.  I transferred the important photos to a USB stick, got rid of tons of photos, stopped photos from uploading to iCloud as well as taking care of all the hints you provided.

I did not worry about itunes playlists as that is already on my phone and ipod.  I think I will soon be using Apple Music or Spotify paid version soon so I am not going to be worried about the old playlists.

Thanks again to you and @glb613  I am zipping along!  Happy New Year.  S

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1  Great! Glad you got more speed. It is always nice to have our electronics working properly. 

Happy New Year and good health to you and your family.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@MKR14 , yes speed is much better now.  I just turned the Bluetooth off.  I transferred the important photos to a USB stick, got rid of tons of photos, stopped photos from uploading to iCloud as well as taking care of all the hints you provided.

I did not worry about itunes playlists as that is already on my phone and ipod.  I think I will soon be using Apple Music or Spotify paid version soon so I am not going to be worried about the old playlists.

Thanks again to you and @glb613  I am zipping along!  Happy New Year.  S

You're welcome. Not only does a reset help with performance, it will also give back a lot of hard drive space.  I've done a restore or reset on every device I've owned and Apple devices are by far the easiest.