Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Do You Think

[ Edited ]

@Jordan, it depends on what you use a computer for.  I keep a library for my ereader and I do some business documents for DH from time to time so I want a real computer for that.  I also keep spreadsheets.  In my life, an ipad doesn't do it all.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

@Jordan2 wrote:

Does anyone think an iPad Pro can take the place of a laptop?

Depends....

How are you going to use it?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2

@Jordan2 wrote:

Depends....

@Mz iMac, I would use it for emails, social media, surfing the web, and shopping, that type of thing. I was also wondering, can you transfer any files and songs, pictures, I have on my computer to an iPad Pro? I actually wouldn't know how to transfer files from my old computer to my new one. I know there is a software program you can buy, I wonder how user friendly it is?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2

@Jordan2 wrote:

Depends....

@Mz iMac, I would use it for emails, social media, surfing the web, and shopping, that type of thing. I was also wondering, can you transfer any files and songs, pictures, I have on my computer to an iPad Pro? I actually wouldn't know how to transfer files from my old computer to my new one. I know there is a software program you can buy, I wonder how user friendly it is?

These are the kinds of questions the Apple Store staff will be happy to answer.

DH has an old MacBook Pro, and I have an iPad (2 iPads actually). I almost never go near his laptop.

It sounds to me as though you would not need a laptop, but do your own research. I am eagerly looking forward to the next generation iPads. I use a lot of the iPad features for music- composing, recording.......and my present iPad has never let me down.

I expect the next gen iPad to be even better. Then there's photography with my iPhone. Cannot WAIT FOR IPhone 8!

I personally am Apple all the way!

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2

@Jordan2 wrote:

Depends....

Based on your needs, an iPad will do just fine.

I need some clarification before I can answer your "transfer" question.....

In your original posting you stated you already have an iPad Air.  Note, an iPad is NOT a comp.  So when you state you want to transfer files from your old comp to a new iPad, are you saying you have a Windows comp or is it the iPad Air you want to transfer from?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

In addition.....

I STRONGLY & HIGHLY recommend the following books for you:

iPad The Missing Manual by David Pogue (Highly recommend)

iPad For Dummies or

iPad For Seniors For Dummies, 9th Edition both by Jesse Feiler.

These books are NON techy & very easy reading.  The instructions are very well detailed-hand holding every step of the way w/illustrated drawings/photos.

Books cover everything that is missing from

Apple - Support - iPad Manuals

which you should download also.

These books can be found at your local bookstores (Barnes & Noble) and/or your local library.  You can order online if that is your wish.

Cannot post the links as its retail.  Easy find through Google, DuckDuckGo and/or Bing search.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2, you can try building your own at HP and get idea for the latest specs.  Then compare to your Apple product.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2

@Jordan2 wrote:

Depends....

For those uses, a Chromebook would be a safe, cheap option for you. While you do just get two years of free cloud storage, cloud storage is getting cheaper all of the time and the price difference between an Apple computer and a Chromebook would let you buy many, many years of future cloud storage. 

Asus has a newer Chromebook out that's pretty nearly bomb-proof. It's their C202SA-YS02. It's got a rubber bumper, is best in class at being drop resistant, gets up to ten hours on a charge and even is water resistant. It sells for around $200. It's only got an 11.6" screen, but that's bigger than all but the 12.9" iPad Pro which sells for around $800 so there's a good price edge for the Chromebooks. That Chromebook is largely made for the classroom environment, but it's very well reviewed by home users also. (You can get Chromebooks in nearly any size or style these days including convertible models taht convert into a tablet by flipping them around.)

Whatever option you decide to look at, head to some local stores and try out the various options. Focus on the feel  of the device, the keyboard, the trackpad, how responsive the screen is on touchscreen models, and focus less on the image. Screen images can be tweaked by store personnel to make one model look better and buyers often buy with their eyes. Forget what you see and focus on what you feel and how you'll be interacting with it on a daily basis. The screen image will become normal to you in daily use and you won't notice if it's a tick brighter, dimmer, sharper or less sharp than other screens without other screens to compare it to. Even screen size becomes something you get used to. Looking at a 17" and 11" models side by side the 17" will often look much better, but if you get the 11" you'll pretty quickly forget there was a 17" model and adjust to what you have.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2

@Jordan2 wrote:

Depends....

For those uses, a Chromebook would be a safe, cheap option for you. While you do just get two years of free cloud storage, cloud storage is getting cheaper all of the time and the price difference between an Apple computer and a Chromebook would let you buy many, many years of future cloud storage. 

Asus has a newer Chromebook out that's pretty nearly bomb-proof. It's their C202SA-YS02. It's got a rubber bumper, is best in class at being drop resistant, gets up to ten hours on a charge and even is water resistant. It sells for around $200. It's only got an 11.6" screen, but that's bigger than all but the 12.9" iPad Pro which sells for around $800 so there's a good price edge for the Chromebooks. That Chromebook is largely made for the classroom environment, but it's very well reviewed by home users also. (You can get Chromebooks in nearly any size or style these days including convertible models taht convert into a tablet by flipping them around.)

Whatever option you decide to look at, head to some local stores and try out the various options. Focus on the feel  of the device, the keyboard, the trackpad, how responsive the screen is on touchscreen models, and focus less on the image. Screen images can be tweaked by store personnel to make one model look better and buyers often buy with their eyes. Forget what you see and focus on what you feel and how you'll be interacting with it on a daily basis. The screen image will become normal to you in daily use and you won't notice if it's a tick brighter, dimmer, sharper or less sharp than other screens without other screens to compare it to. Even screen size becomes something you get used to. Looking at a 17" and 11" models side by side the 17" will often look much better, but if you get the 11" you'll pretty quickly forget there was a 17" model and adjust to what you have.

@gardenman, thanks for the advice. I will consider it.

Honored Contributor

I couldn't survive with just a tablet. I use programs that there are no IOS apps for. But it depends what your needs are. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval