Honored Contributor

I totally will understand if some of you bypass this. I have been here before seeking advice about purchasing a new computer. I have been talk, talk, talking, about this for so long I'm sick of it you must be too! I was looking at the new MacBook Pro 13" with the protection plan and accessories, plus tax ballpark $2,564. I looked at the HP Spectre (not the 2in1) 13" (I wanted a 15" but didn't see one) with everything $2,238.00. I was wondering if one could use an iPad Pro as their primary computer? The 12.9" with wifi and cellular, protection plan, and keyboard would run $1,517.00. I don't buy a computer often so I am ready to spend the big bucks! I have considered a Chrome Book, but fear the 32 GB of storage is not enough (I know there is a limited amount of cloud storage for free but you must pay after 2 years I think). So as you can see I'm not sure what I want. I do own an iPad Air and several Kindles. Oh yeah you should know I'm not tech savvy at all! Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Do You Think

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2, here's my two cents.  I needed a new computer.  After all the windows 10 issues we have read about here and, considering the fact that everything else I own is Apple, I decided to buy a MacBook Pro.

Your price suggests to me that you are looking at the brand new MacBook Pro, the one with the new touch bar.  After assessing my needs and recognizing that the new touch bar is around $1000 more than the 2016 MacBook Pro, I went with the next to newest model (2016).

The MacBook Pro you are talking about does not have HDMI connection, USB, SD or headphones.  You have to buy a dongle to make these connections of devices to your computer.  The newest MBP with the touch bar has only thunderports.  In my reading of the attributes and reviews of the new MBP with touchbar, it was way more computer than I needed for what I want to do.

You could also buy a MacBook Air.

What you really have to know is what your needs are, whether you want Apple or Windows and how much you are prepared to pay.

At the end of the day, I chose MacBook Pro and I love it.  I hardly ever use my ipad any more so next ipad I buy will be a mini, not a full size.

Good luck with your choice.  LM

PS, if you can, visit an Apple Store or an electronics store before you buy.  Talk to the people there about what you want to do and they can assist with your needs assessment.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

I am not any help!

At the Apple Store, the guy who helped us raved about the MACBOOK PRO... but I will admit I didn't listen well b/c we were not in the market. 

Sorry ... the only other one you mentioned that I have used once or twice was the Chromebook. It just seemed extremely limited (st that time) to me.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My niece and both nephews use a MacBook Pro as their primary computer. They love it. 

I use an iMac and love it also. I'll never go back to a PC. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

Lilysmom provided you w/excellent advice.  The only things I can add is that the decision is entirely up to you.  Your decision should be based on your needs.

Go to your local Apple Store & play around w/their display products.  Talk to the "staff" about your needs.

Store List - Apple Store

Another option is to call the online Apple Store & discuss your needs w/them.  There will be no "sales tactics" involved. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once you go Mac, you never go back.  lol  Switched from a PC to a Macbook Pro w/retina display in 2015, and even though costly, I will NEVER go back to a PC.  That being said, I agree with earlier advice about buying a 2016 model if you can still find one.  Do buy the Apple Care.  You will have three years of all the American-based, English-speaking advice and service you need.  They can even remotely look at your computer to "see" what you are seeing so that they can talk you through hooking it up to your printer or whatever else you're needing.  Please go to an Apple store or locally owned Apple retailer (that is what we have here in my town--they are authorized to sell and service Apple products) to see what is available and get expert help in choosing your device.  Just go for it!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Jordan2, here's my two cents.  I needed a new computer.  After all the windows 10 issues we have read about here and, considering the fact that everything else I own is Apple, I decided to buy a MacBook Pro.

Your price suggests to me that you are looking at the brand new MacBook Pro, the one with the new touch bar.  After assessing my needs and recognizing that the new touch bar is around $1000 more than the 2016 MacBook Pro, I went with the next to newest model (2016).

The MacBook Pro you are talking about does not have HDMI connection, USB, SD or headphones.  You have to buy a dongle to make these connections of devices to your computer.  The newest MBP with the touch bar has only thunderports.  In my reading of the attributes and reviews of the new MBP with touchbar, it was way more computer than I needed for what I want to do.

You could also buy a MacBook Air.

What you really have to know is what your needs are, whether you want Apple or Windows and how much you are prepared to pay.

At the end of the day, I chose MacBook Pro and I love it.  I hardly ever use my ipad any more so next ipad I buy will be a mini, not a full size.

Good luck with your choice.  LM

PS, if you can, visit an Apple Store or an electronics store before you buy.  Talk to the people there about what you want to do and they can assist with your needs assessment.

Thanks for your "two cents"! I have had my current laptop for about 6 or 7 years, so I hold onto things for a long time! When it comes to electronics I always want to buy the latest and greatest that is available. Unfortunately I don't have an Apple Store near me, just a Best Buy. I find that the help there isn't that knowledgeable, that is if you can even find someone to help you. Thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Processor 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz) Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit English Memory 8GB DDR4-2400MHz; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately) Hard Drive 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 LCD 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge Wireless Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1 Primary Battery 56WHr Keyboard Backlit Keyboard, English Driver Killer 1535 Wireless Driver Cable US Power Cord Systems Management Systems Management SW Placemat XPS 15 Placemat Retail Software Retail Return Label Packaging Label Dell.com Order Documentation/Disks Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French Multi-language) Packaging Shipping Material Power Supply 130w Power Adapter FGA Module BERL1801_1610_DAO/US/CA/BTO Processor Branding Intel® Core™ i7 Label Support 1 Year Premium Support Operating System Recovery Options Operating System Recovery Media Not Included Microsoft Office Productivity Software – Word, Excel, Powerpoint & more Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial Security Software McAfee LiveSafe 12 Month Subscription Non-Microsoft Application Software Additional Software

Respected Contributor

I have an iMac-27" screen.  Love the size.  This is my 3rd Mac product.  Would hate to go back to a PC.  We also have an iPad and an iPhone.  They're great.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone think an iPad Pro can take the place of a laptop? Apple is kind of promoting it as a laptop. You can buy a pencil and keyboard for it and can get 256 GB of storage.