Esteemed Contributor

Jordan, you got some really good suggestions here. I would go to the apple store and ask the staff .. I would also write down my specs and what I want the computer for. I have Ipads now and I do have computers all HP. Apple is a great product. If you are willing to pay the high cost for a Apple computer then go for it.  But, for what you listed you will be doing with your computer sounds like a good PC would work in your favor too. "Happy Shopping" O/P.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Does anyone think an iPad Pro can take the place of a laptop? Apple is kind of promoting it as a laptop. You can buy a pencil and keyboard for it and can get 256 GB of storage. 

It entirely depends on what your needs are and how you plan to use it.

For some people it will work very well and for others it would be inadequate. Some people can use it if they also get some adapters to do things like hook it up to a projector or a TV screen. The MS Surface is a much better replacement for a laptop.

Honored Contributor

What do you plan to do with the computer/tablet? That's always the first thing to consider.

Do you use the computer for art (drawing/movies/music), documents (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations), or mostly online like things surfing the web, shopping, and email?

What kind of software/apps do you normally use?

What kind of productivity requirements do you have?

Do you need to be able to use the computer in a place that does not have WiFi or has unstable WiFi?

Answering those questions will narrow your search and you could find out that your needs will be met by a $300 Chromebook instead of a $2000 laptop/tablet.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

Since you say that you already have an iPad, I would look at what I use the computer for and see if I can, or am willing to, use the iPad for the same things.  That would give you a good idea if you could eliminate a full computer completely.  As everyone else has stated, it depends on what you use the computer for.

Also, have you checked to see if you have an independent Apple Authorized Service Dealer in your town?  My nearest Apple Store is two hours away; BestBuy and Staples almost that far too.  But we do have an independent office machine store locally that is an Apple repair/seller.  They are very knowledgeable, as opposed to the help at Best Buy.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Jordan2

Since you say that you already have an iPad, I would look at what I use the computer for and see if I can, or am willing to, use the iPad for the same things.  That would give you a good idea if you could eliminate a full computer completely.  As everyone else has stated, it depends on what you use the computer for.

Also, have you checked to see if you have an independent Apple Authorized Service Dealer in your town?  My nearest Apple Store is two hours away; BestBuy and Staples almost that far too.  But we do have an independent office machine store locally that is an Apple repair/seller.  They are very knowledgeable, as opposed to the help at Best Buy.

@geezerette, I have a Best Buy 10 minutes away from my home. Looking online at Best Buy my store doesn't have the new MacBookPros, I would have to go miles out of my way to another or purchase online. Unfortunately the Apple Store is not near me, I would have to buy online from them.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Jordan2

@geezerette, I have a Best Buy 10 minutes away from my home. Looking online at Best Buy my store doesn't have the new MacBookPros, I would have to go miles out of my way to another or purchase online. Unfortunately the Apple Store is not near me, I would have to buy online from them.

I was wondering if you might have a small Mom and Pop type place that might be an authorized dealer or repair place.  That's what I have in my closest town.

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2

@Jordan2 wrote:

Does anyone think an iPad Pro can take the place of a laptop?

Depends....

How are you going to use it?

@Mz iMac, I would use it for emails, social media, surfing the web, and shopping, that type of thing. I was also wondering, can you transfer any files and songs, pictures, I have on my computer to an iPad Pro? I actually wouldn't know how to transfer files from my old computer to my new one. I know there is a software program you can buy, I wonder how user friendly it is?

For those uses, a Chromebook would be a safe, cheap option for you. While you do just get two years of free cloud storage, cloud storage is getting cheaper all of the time and the price difference between an Apple computer and a Chromebook would let you buy many, many years of future cloud storage. 

Asus has a newer Chromebook out that's pretty nearly bomb-proof. It's their C202SA-YS02. It's got a rubber bumper, is best in class at being drop resistant, gets up to ten hours on a charge and even is water resistant. It sells for around $200. It's only got an 11.6" screen, but that's bigger than all but the 12.9" iPad Pro which sells for around $800 so there's a good price edge for the Chromebooks. That Chromebook is largely made for the classroom environment, but it's very well reviewed by home users also. (You can get Chromebooks in nearly any size or style these days including convertible models taht convert into a tablet by flipping them around.)

Whatever option you decide to look at, head to some local stores and try out the various options. Focus on the feel  of the device, the keyboard, the trackpad, how responsive the screen is on touchscreen models, and focus less on the image. Screen images can be tweaked by store personnel to make one model look better and buyers often buy with their eyes. Forget what you see and focus on what you feel and how you'll be interacting with it on a daily basis. The screen image will become normal to you in daily use and you won't notice if it's a tick brighter, dimmer, sharper or less sharp than other screens without other screens to compare it to. Even screen size becomes something you get used to. Looking at a 17" and 11" models side by side the 17" will often look much better, but if you get the 11" you'll pretty quickly forget there was a 17" model and adjust to what you have.

You're right, @gardenman,

There are many different options for Chromebooks now--different sizes, with different memory choices, too.

I have an 11.6" HP, and I use a wireless mouse with it because I just don't like using the trackpad with it. It's just a personal preference that I have. 

I really enjoy using it! Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

I have an iPad Air 2. Love it. I haven't used my pc except to scan document to fax (for a divorce back in 2014) which is kind of going the way of the dinosaur. For my needs I may add a mini mac if I truly want some type of computer but so far my iPad does everything I need.