Contributor

I just received an email from TracFone  telling me my phone currently utilizes a network which will no longer be functioning at the end of this year.  It says new networks are already available that will offer even better service.  They are offering me a "great discount" on a phone that will allow me to start  using these new networks now.

I was not planning on buying a new phone this year, just renewing the service for another year.  

Has anyone received this notification or know anything about this?

Thank you for any help in understanding this.  I do not want to lose my accumulation of minutes and data or worse yet, all the information, photos, etc. I have in my current phone.

I have an LG Premier Pro 5.3" HD with an Android 7.1 Nougat operating system which I purchased Sept. 2018.

Valued Contributor

Don't  know if it's the same thing, but when I tried to purchase additional minutes at the end of the year's service,  I got a message saying I would have to upgrade to a 4G phone.

I think everything's going 5G in the near future.

Esteemed Contributor

@17thfloor ,  is that a 2G network?

They've been eliminating all 2G phones for quite some time. It's obsolete technology.

If yes, ignore their sale. Buy yourself a new 4G TracFone with all the air time and minutes from QVC or HSN. I'd never buy a phone directly from TracFone.

I have 2 TracFones, one 3G and one 4G.

I'm don't think 3G is being eliminated yet.

Honored Contributor

The LG Premier Pro is a 4G phone. That's an odd message to get. The LG Premier Pro (at least according to LG's website) uses CDMA, GSM, WCDMA, UMTS, and LTE technology. It's kind of hard to imagine a network that it's not compatible with other than 5G and 5G isn't deployed yet. I have the same phone and it's a great little gadget. I haven't gotten that message. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!

I spoke to TracFone yesterday and the woman said the network is not yet available to them.  We have until December 31st to switch over if you want to keep you minutes.  My question is if the network is not yet available, is it smart to buy a new phone yet?  If the answer is no, when will it be, and how will we know?  I plan to get my new phone from QVC.  I know very little about cell phones and use it only in emergencies, or to text our grandkids.

Respected Contributor

@nontrditnl wrote:

I spoke to TracFone yesterday and the woman said the network is not yet available to them.  We have until December 31st to switch over if you want to keep you minutes.  My question is if the network is not yet available, is it smart to buy a new phone yet?  If the answer is no, when will it be, and how will we know?  I plan to get my new phone from QVC.  I know very little about cell phones and use it only in emergencies, or to text our grandkids.

I  find it odd that you would need to upgrade a 4G, 7.1OS phone!? By any chance did you own a previous TracFone and they might be confusing the two? I sometimes "forget" to take  my old ones off my TracFone app when I switch over...

Contributor

I continue receiving emails from Tracfone, which I referred to in first part of this topic, that my LG Premier Pro will no longer be functioning by the end of the year.  I was hoping someone could advise me about the Samsung galaxy currently being offered as a special value on the southern channel. I wonder if this would be a suitable replacement and let me transfer everything from my LG.  I would hate to loose my photos and downloaded movies.   Thank you for any help or advise.  

My LG is 4GLTE.

Respected Contributor

Unless you really want a new phone, I would first try calling Tracfone and discussing this "alert" wth them...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@17thfloor 

I am using a LG premier tracfone 4g lite phone that i bought in 2017...i haven't had any up grade notices.

@Mothertrucker

posted about a new phone she just bought  a  E232911 from QVC

Moto G6  5.7" tracfone  for $159.96  +free S&H....has 1500 min. on evthing plus i year time...i ordered it and should have it June03d.

I mentioned ito her  before that.... i might order from hsn...but she" pointed" out" they" were $10.00 higher in price plius theirs   only gave i :  1yrs- time plus 1200 min,text,phone!

thanks again @Mothertrucker HeartSmiley Wink

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Trusted Contributor

@17thfloor I wouldn't worry too much about the email since they are still selling the phone on the website. It is pretty cheap so it's probably discontinued but there's no reason for it to stop working. If you have concerns you can do a live chat on the tracphone website.

On the off chance it is going to stop working you wont lose your pictures. No service means you can't make calls but you can access your pictures and you can still use apps if you have it connected to wifi. I have an old phone I use for music when I'm forced to use the treadmill and I use it to download podcasts. My pictures are still on there but I do have them synced to the cloud and they are actually on the SD card. Your phone is probably saving them to the micro SD card if you put one in which would make it easy to move them to a computer.