Contributor

I just received an email from TracFone  telling me my phone currently utilizes a network which will no longer be functioning at the end of this year.  It says new networks are already available that will offer even better service.  They are offering me a "great discount" on a phone that will allow me to start  using these new networks now.

I was not planning on buying a new phone this year, just renewing the service for another year.  

Has anyone received this notification or know anything about this?

Thank you for any help in understanding this.  I do not want to lose my accumulation of minutes and data or worse yet, all the information, photos, etc. I have in my current phone.

I have an LG Premier Pro 5.3" HD with an Android 7.1 Nougat operating system which I purchased Sept. 2018.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Tracfone

Don't  know if it's the same thing, but when I tried to purchase additional minutes at the end of the year's service,  I got a message saying I would have to upgrade to a 4G phone.

I think everything's going 5G in the near future.

Respected Contributor

@17thfloor ,  is that a 2G network?

They've been eliminating all 2G phones for quite some time. It's obsolete technology.

If yes, ignore their sale. Buy yourself a new 4G TracFone with all the air time and minutes from QVC or HSN. I'd never buy a phone directly from TracFone.

I have 2 TracFones, one 3G and one 4G.

I'm don't think 3G is being eliminated yet.

Honored Contributor

The LG Premier Pro is a 4G phone. That's an odd message to get. The LG Premier Pro (at least according to LG's website) uses CDMA, GSM, WCDMA, UMTS, and LTE technology. It's kind of hard to imagine a network that it's not compatible with other than 5G and 5G isn't deployed yet. I have the same phone and it's a great little gadget. I haven't gotten that message. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted

I spoke to TracFone yesterday and the woman said the network is not yet available to them.  We have until December 31st to switch over if you want to keep you minutes.  My question is if the network is not yet available, is it smart to buy a new phone yet?  If the answer is no, when will it be, and how will we know?  I plan to get my new phone from QVC.  I know very little about cell phones and use it only in emergencies, or to text our grandkids.

Respected Contributor

@nontrditnl wrote:

I spoke to TracFone yesterday and the woman said the network is not yet available to them.  We have until December 31st to switch over if you want to keep you minutes.  My question is if the network is not yet available, is it smart to buy a new phone yet?  If the answer is no, when will it be, and how will we know?  I plan to get my new phone from QVC.  I know very little about cell phones and use it only in emergencies, or to text our grandkids.

I  find it odd that you would need to upgrade a 4G, 7.1OS phone!? By any chance did you own a previous TracFone and they might be confusing the two? I sometimes "forget" to take  my old ones off my TracFone app when I switch over...