Respected Contributor

I get a message saying I need to free up space but I don't know how!  Can someone help?  My Miscellaneous is almost filled but what happens if I clear the "android" choice which is taking 35.37 MB.  I am NOT tech savvy!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tracfone question

[ Edited ]

No idea what "Android" choice means.
You can always help us help you better if you provide your phone's make & model with your questions.

Somewhere in your phone's settings you'll find "Storage".
Tap that to see "Used Space".
Tap Used Space to see usage broken down into categories of applications, pictures and videos, audio, downloads.

You may have applications you don't need, or videos, entire text conversations you could delete, etc.
Go thru your phone and just delete things you don't need to keep in there.

You can delete any app that you downloaded from the Play Store. But please be careful about deleting apps that were already installed when your phone arrived. Some are safe to delete but many are not and it's always better to ask first.

There are apps that I use so infrequently that I just download them when I need them and then delete themagain, I don't store them in the phone.

There are apps that can compress your videos to about half the space. After I compress a video I delete the original.

Please make sure your WiFi and data are not on unless you're using them. Also adjust your settings so that apps in your phone do not update automatically. If you allow your WiFi or data to be on and apps to update automatically they will constantly update and eat up more and more space in your phone.

Honored Contributor

35.57mb is not that much if you have 8GB total

Apps take up most of my memory, did you look at all your Apps?

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I get a message saying I need to free up space but I don't know how!  Can someone help?  My Miscellaneous is almost filled but what happens if I clear the "android" choice which is taking 35.37 MB.  I am NOT tech savvy!!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
I did too, I just went to settings, then scrolled down to storage and deleted apps I don't use anymore and forcestop running apps to help. If you are storing a lot of pictures you might need to delete some, or move them.
Honored Contributor

Take to Walmart kiosk store they always help me for free.

course, I buy my Tracfone's from them, too.

Honored Contributor

IMo - once it starts to get the space all used up it is time to get a new phone.

Esteemed Contributor
With all due respect, 151949, that's ridiculous. That's like telling someone to buy new pair of shoes because their shoelace broke.
Most of us have had to clean out accumulated pictures, texts, downloads, & seldom used apps from our phones. I try to KEEP mine thinned out by deleting stuff before it gets that full.
@bargainsgirl, besides thinning out your storage, some phones can also expand storage space.
Honored Contributor

I have found that once my LG phones started to say the memory was full it became a constant battle to keep freeing up space on them. No matter what I deleted or moved to my computer - there is still some of that left on the phone using up storage and it just constantly keeps saying I need to free up space. Because I don't have a phone to be aggravated by it , I find this means it is time for a new phone.

With tracfone , you can buy a new phone and get days of service, min for talk,text and data all for the same price as just buying the service without a phone. So why not buy a new phone.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have found that once my LG phones started to say the memory was full it became a constant battle to keep freeing up space on them. No matter what I deleted or moved to my computer - there is still some of that left on the phone using up storage and it just constantly keeps saying I need to free up space. Because I don't have a phone to be aggravated by it , I find this means it is time for a new phone.

With tracfone , you can buy a new phone and get days of service, min for talk,text and data all for the same price as just buying the service without a phone. So why not buy a new phone.

I completely agree but there are other alternatives, like adding a memory card.

If the OP has only 8GB internal memory, she will be constantly getting that message.   I ditched my LG 8GB phone for a Samsung 16GB phone, I'm a happy camper.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

So ... huh?

When you run out of storage you buy a new phone? 

If you wouldn't transfer all the same apps, pix, vids, contacts, notes, etc from your current phone into a new phone, why not just dump it from your current phone in the first place?  Bang!! There's that storage space you were looking for.

I buy a year of service for $50 bucks,  I never buy talk minutes, and I'm particular about the features I want in a phone.

I've noticed newer phones keep narrowing my choices, while adding features I would turn off, and dropping little conveniences that I use constantly. So 'the next new phone' isn't always something I'd want.

But back to OP. I've read enough from TracFone users to know not everyone uses or wants a smartphone. Since @bargainsgirl didn't include make and model, I'm just trying to help her free up storage space in the phone she's already got.