Esteemed Contributor

Are any of you familiar with using smartwatches?  Are they worth the price?  Do the cheaper ones work?

Would they work as a life alert to call someone if you should fall?

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t know about the cheap ones. My Apple Watch is essential. I have expensive, beautiful watches, but I no longer wear them as I’m totally attached to my Apple Watch. In my opinion—-for emergency calls, smart watches CAN work (you can make phone calls from them), but they would not be as good as those products made specifically for that purpose. Making calls on them requires some dexterity and good eyes and if someone was hurt, I’m not sure they’d be able to make a call easily while under duress. 

Valued Contributor

cheaper is nothing to do with it however with good function can work .

Honored Contributor

Re: Smartwatches

[ Edited ]

All you have to do on Apple Watch to call 911 is hold down the side button until the menu appears and then tap emergency SOS. It calls the local emergency services, you can set it up with an emergency contact to also be notified by text, if you've called 911 from the watch. It also updates them on your location. 

It won't initiate it if you don't hold the button down though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I’ve been researching all of the exercise watches since DH decided I should have one as a Christmas gift from him, and although there are some that review about the same or a little higher, it looks like I’m always circling back to the Apple Watch.

I’d love it to work fo my bull headed stubborn 90 year old relative, but I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t just because she’s her.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the Apple Watch requires you have a newer iphone even the cellular model that I have. So it's trickier if you're buying for someone else. I wouldn't unless I knew they wanted one. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval