Respected Contributor

Re: TV died yesterday; just installed new one

Aah, for the days when TVs didn't have to be "installed," but could just be plugged in. 🤔Oh, wait....that's what *we* have again since we ditched cable and got indoor antennas lol.

And we have two Samsungs and one Sanyo, with which we're very happy.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonlady wrote:
Aah, for the days when TVs didn't have to be "installed," but could just be plugged in. 🤔Oh, wait....that's what *we* have again since we ditched cable and got indoor antennas lol.

And we have two Samsungs and one Sanyo, with which we're very happy.

I would love to dish cable. I  can not use an antenna. Iive to far from NYC. I  still need fast internet.  I  will keep paying, and smiling. 

Honored Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:

be gald you didnot buy a  samsung.

@heart of savino   Why do you say that?  I have two Samsungs and love them.  One of them I bought last year and set up myself.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

read the reviews for the samsung tv. wait till you have the tv for a few months or a year.hope you took the extended warranty even though it wont help since their customer service sucks.

come back here when you get the blue screen or the wi fi wont connect or tv wont turn on.it gets to be a pain then to pull the plug out and reboot your cable box every day.good luck samsung buyers....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@heart of savino wrote:

read the reviews for the samsung tv. wait till you have the tv for a few months or a year.hope you took the extended warranty even though it wont help since their customer service sucks.

come back here when you get the blue screen or the wi fi wont connect or tv wont turn on.it gets to be a pain then to pull the plug out and reboot your cable box every day.good luck samsung buyers....

@heart of savino   I have no idea who you're addressing this to but think it might be me since I said I just bought my second Samsung.  I bought it because I've had my first one for close to ten years.  I haven't had any trouble with it at all, and it's been a great TV.  I've never bought an extended warranty on anything.  I always read reviews before I buy anything.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Samsung was one of many, many electronic companies that got burned by the Taiwanese capacitor plague crisis a few years back (1999-2007). A Taiwanese company came up with a new, cheaper, more efficient electrolyte material for capacitors. Fearing their secret formula would leak out, they intentionally leaked a formula similar to their formula that was unstable, but worked fine for a year or so. Rival makers adopted this unstable formula, assuming it was the real one, and it created all kinds of chaos. That series of bad capacitors damaged the reputations of many companies and left a lot, and I mean a lot, of very angry consumers who still blame the companies and post endless negative reviews of their products despite those capacitors being long gone. Modern Samsung TV's are generally fine devices.

And it wasn't just Samsung that got burned by the capacitor plague. Apple, Samsung, Sony and pretty much every electronic manufacturer got burned. Consumers who had an affected product that died shortly after the warranty expired, still bear grudges against those manufacturers. If you ever shop for a computer motherboard you'll likely notice most brands specify they use Japanese capacitors. Japanese capacitors were not involved in the capacitor plague. Lots of computers, including Apple computers were affected.

When you read reviews and they're very negative, if you look at other models of that brand you'll likely find the same person posting the same review for a dozen or more devices by the same manufacturer. They're trying to punish the manufacturer because their product died prematurely. It's kind of like a hobby for some people. There was a guy on Amazon who posted endless negative reviews of Canon cameras about stuck lenses. Every single Canon camera got the same negative review. He either bought every Canon camera made over a series of years and every one failed in the same exact manner, or he was just trying to damage Canon. It's a game for some people.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I still have a panasonic plasma tv which is about 9 years old.best tv i ever had and wont get rid of it till it dies.to bad you cant get those panasonics any more.picture is better then my samsung...

Honored Contributor

I've put off buying another TV because I thought we'd have to pay an installer.  Its nice to know these "automatic TV's" are available now.  One of ours is too small to read any print on the screen and it drives me nuts.