Honored Contributor

Am looking for a new laptop. At first I thought I would want a touch screen because I use my iPad so much, and it might be better with Win 10, and I'm also used to enlarging anything I want to by touch.

But - of course the touch screen laptops are more expensive, by $100+. And I have been reading that most touch pads now are multi-gesture and work like I'm used to on the iPad.

So - anyone who bought a touch screen laptop and finds they don't use it much? Anyone loving their touch screen laptop? Tell me why - thanks!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

My touch screen laptop was only ~$40 more than the non-touch.  I'm running Win 8.1. Usually, I use the mouse, but there are times when the touch is much more convenient.  I'm glad I have touch but am not sure I would have gone this route had it been $100 more.

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

My touch screen laptop was only ~$40 more than the non-touch.  I'm running Win 8.1. Usually, I use the mouse, but there are times when the touch is much more convenient.  I'm glad I have touch but am not sure I would have gone this route had it been $100 more.

Thanks for your input. If I was buying Win 8 I would have definitely wanted a touchscreen!

Looking at the specs I want and depending on the mfg, the running price for Win 10 machines seems to be $100 minimum difference up to $150 between touch screen and non. I'm thinking I most likely won't appreciate it $100 worth :-)

I have the chance today to get a steal - $150 off what others are charging for the same specs - but w/o touch screen. But part of me wonders if I'd miss it.

New Contributor

I bought a touch screen laptop last Fall, but find I use the touch screen feature much less than I expected.  I love my NOOK, so thought I'd use the touch screen on the laptop frequently.  I don't like having to clean off the fingerprints on the bigger laptop screen before I watch a show or movie on-line!  Would not spend the extra dollars on the laptop touch screen feature again.

Honored Contributor

@janmcd wrote:

I bought a touch screen laptop last Fall, but find I use the touch screen feature much less than I expected.  I love my NOOK, so thought I'd use the touch screen on the laptop frequently.  I don't like having to clean off the fingerprints on the bigger laptop screen before I watch a show or movie on-line!  Would not spend the extra dollars on the laptop touch screen feature again.

Yep - I find cleaning the small screen a PITA, I had been thinking that cleaning a larger one wouldn not please me.

Thanks! I'm off later to see what I can get.

Honored Contributor

I have it on my work computer and never use it.  Or I should say, never intentionally use it.  I tend to touch my screen and it always shocks me when it moves.  My home computer doesn't have it, but my kindle does.  I don't miss it on my home computer.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@nomless wrote:

Thanks for your input. If I was buying Win 8 I would have definitely wanted a touchscreen!

Looking at the specs I want and depending on the mfg, the running price for Win 10 machines seems to be $100 minimum difference up to $150 between touch screen and non. I'm thinking I most likely won't appreciate it $100 worth :-)

I have the chance today to get a steal - $150 off what others are charging for the same specs - but w/o touch screen. But part of me wonders if I'd miss it.

For $150 less, no, I don't think you'd miss touch.  It sounds like a great buy!   Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@nomless wrote:

For $150 less, no, I don't think you'd miss touch.  It sounds like a great buy!   Good luck.

It was a toss-up between a couple of different machines. It's not my dream machine but it was cheeeap!

Bought a Dell 15.6" i7 with 6GB memory, 1 TB HD and DVD drive for $499, on sale at BB while they last. No backlit keyboard and no touch screen, and not the screen I wanted, but for as much as I will use it and what it will mostly be used for, it was too good to pass up. Typing on it now.

Respected Contributor

Re: TOUCH SCREEN LAPTOP?

[ Edited ]

Yay, @Moonchilde,  it sounds great.  Mine is a Dell from BB, too,  and I, too, purchased it because it was inexpensive.  

Have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde, come back and tell us what you bought and what you think of it pls.  LM